Gearbox query

Holdover

Hello,

I've a 2003 A4 B6 Avant with a knackered gearbox (serious crunch when going from 3rd back down into second)

My engine is the AWX 130 1.9 TDI, the gearbox is a 5 speed manual, the gearbox code is FEC.

A mate of mine has a gearbox from a 2008 A4 B7, however this was on a 2.0 TDI, engine code  BRE and the gearbox code is JEM. It's also a 6 speed.

I guess it's a long shot that the gearbox would fit but it's so hard to figure out the codes I don't know.

Would anyone know for sure?

Thanks

I don't think it'd fit. But if yours is the 1.9pd which I think it is then I think the 01e 6 speed gearbox might fit. Clutch diameter is 245mm I believe. Or this Is the case with my A6 01e, but it's mated to the 2.5tdi. But 6 speed was fitted to the 1.9pd I'm certain. 

I’ve had the 1.9pd 130 in a Skoda Superb mk1, 2005. The 6 speed would not fit that 100%. I *think* the Superb Mk1 was the B5.5 platform, not the B6. The engine in mine was north/south, not transverse.

Not sure if that helps you much, but as Steve noted, the PD130 has been in so many cars, there must be a 5 speed box in a breakers yard somewhere.

Edited by DomDom
Grammar

You're right guys, they must be common alright. Heard back from a breakers that I'd queried, he has a box for me for €130, happy with that. Just source a front subframe now,  might get the rear also. Rust proof them, swap the box, subframes and under seal all at the same time. I guess I'd be married to the car after all that work. 🤞

14 minutes ago, Holdover said:

You're right guys, they must be common alright. Heard back from a breakers that I'd queried, he has a box for me for €130, happy with that. Just source a front subframe now,  might get the rear also. Rust proof them, swap the box, subframes and under seal all at the same time. I guess I'd be married to the car after all that work. 🤞

Glad you're making progress 🙂