No compression on all 4 cylinders

Jonew

3 hours ago, Magnet said:

So back to the question:- 

Do you know the camshaft was actually turning when you had the zero compression values? I guess the answer is no - ? 

Heavy carbon build up on some valves-? I’d be considering the likelihood of oil burning on that/those cylinders, suggesting bore  or ring wear. 

Bores look ok..

didn’t see the cams turning during compression test but could see the camshaft pulley turning along with the crank..

When manually turning the crankshaft you could see the cams turning..

I know these engines have an oil burning issue, so when I remove the sump I’ll probably take a look at pistons, pick up pump etc 

it’s all a learning curve, just making sure I look at everything I can .. cyclinder head goes into shop next week for skim etc..

edit: 

there is slight movement in each piston(really slight) and because I didn’t do a leak test I think my best option is to replace rings and bearings.

im doin this in situ as I don’t have a hoist so any advice is appreciated 

Cylinder head has been tested and skimmed..

all valves have been tested too, none were bent..(forgot to order grinding paste) 

head gasket set,timing chain and piston rings arrived today, Audi was really good in giving me the revised part numbers which they changed in 2011 for this axx engine ..

have the manual from Elsawin also 

anything I missed?. 

9 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Torque wrench and/or torque angle gauge? 

Have all the necessary tools according to elsawin..

• Like 1

Thought I’d update..

lapped in all the valves, refitted the cams,retainer etc and moved on to the chain..

the key way is missing/broken in the cam timing sprocket ..

had to order a new one so delayed again 

IMG_5494.jpeg

• 1 month later...

please do as I have a 2007 Audi A3 S line sport back They have the same issues engine. Sounds like it has low compression when cranking, but won’t start. I put a new battery in but still don’t work. The two codes I get are high voltage and low voltage as well as camshaft. I put new camshaft as well as crankshaft sensors, but still won’t start but still won’t start.

My issue was the cam shaft chain tensioner had collapsed along with the key way being broken on the vvt causing the timing to be out..

luckily it hadn’t bent any valves and is now back up and running..

you can check timing manually and also through a good diagnostic tool