Fuel Pump Replacement - high mileage 2014 A6 Estate

Hi everyone

My beloved A6 Estate broke down (handily enough in a filling station) last Friday. I've since had it recovered to my home address and this morning I had some comms with my repair centre of choice (not an Audi dealer but a very reputable ex Audi mechanic). His reply nearly floored me. 

Diagnosis based upon the Fault Codes detailed below is that it is very likely (but not defnitively) to be a High Pressure Fuel Pump replacement. Their quote for this was £1850+VAT, without any labour costs. The mechanic alluded to having seen similar cases before now, one of which [due to damage to other parts of the fuel system] topped out at £7000!!!

Fault codes from the AA Breakdown Report as follows:

Patrol found the following fault code/s:System : Engine control 1 - VEH / Diesel EDC 17C64 UDSP008700 - Rail: Fuel pressure. Error Message : Pressure too low.P200200 - Diesel particulate filter (bank 1). Error Message : Faulty operation.P010400 - Air mass meter. Error Message : No signal.P210000 - Throttle valve control unit. Error Message : Open circuit.P210200 - Throttle valve control unit. Error Message : Signal too small.P324300 - Throttle valve control unit. Error Message : Electrical fault.P034100 - Camshaft position sensor 1. Error Message : Signal improbable 

The car in question is high mileage (212k) and has begun to sprout fairly pricey (c£400-600 ish) repairs every now & then of recent. 

Questions for advice from the floor - is £1850 + VAT a realistic price for a fuel pump? Is this likely, based upon the fault codes above, to be a number of issues as well as the pump? If so, I'm minded to write the car off, it has done me well for 5 years. I'm waiting a quote from an  Audi dealer to compare. 

Thanks in advance for any advice people can give. 

LabOwner

4 hours ago, LabOwner said:

Hi everyone

My beloved A6 Estate broke down (handily enough in a filling station) last Friday. I've since had it recovered to my home address and this morning I had some comms with my repair centre of choice (not an Audi dealer but a very reputable ex Audi mechanic). His reply nearly floored me. 

Diagnosis based upon the Fault Codes detailed below is that it is very likely (but not defnitively) to be a High Pressure Fuel Pump replacement. Their quote for this was £1850+VAT, without any labour costs. The mechanic alluded to having seen similar cases before now, one of which [due to damage to other parts of the fuel system] topped out at £7000!!!

Fault codes from the AA Breakdown Report as follows:

Patrol found the following fault code/s:System : Engine control 1 - VEH / Diesel EDC 17C64 UDSP008700 - Rail: Fuel pressure. Error Message : Pressure too low.P200200 - Diesel particulate filter (bank 1). Error Message : Faulty operation.P010400 - Air mass meter. Error Message : No signal.P210000 - Throttle valve control unit. Error Message : Open circuit.P210200 - Throttle valve control unit. Error Message : Signal too small.P324300 - Throttle valve control unit. Error Message : Electrical fault.P034100 - Camshaft position sensor 1. Error Message : Signal improbable 

The car in question is high mileage (212k) and has begun to sprout fairly pricey (c£400-600 ish) repairs every now & then of recent. 

Questions for advice from the floor - is £1850 + VAT a realistic price for a fuel pump? Is this likely, based upon the fault codes above, to be a number of issues as well as the pump? If so, I'm minded to write the car off, it has done me well for 5 years. I'm waiting a quote from an  Audi dealer to compare. 

Thanks in advance for any advice people can give. 

LabOwner

Hi it may well be the low pressure fuel pump in the tank as if that goes sideways it will throw up codes for the high pressure side as its not getting enough fuel, the throttle valve is probably gummed up but in saying that what is your engine code?, that will have a bearing on your problems as to its operating systems they throw up different codes, to be fair I think the price you were quoted is over what a normal garage would quote by several miles, if you can get me your engine version I can probably get you some sane prices on the parts, the only worrying code is p2002 as thats the low pressure egr cooler thats a nasty thing to replace, the only real way to dig in to this is get it read with VCDS as that supplies the date and time of the fault and it could be that some of these faults are very old and no longer current, I have found this with my car as the milage racks up you get odd random codes which when deleted never rear their ugly head again, ask for a breakdown of what he is actually going to do for the £1850.00 + vat

• Like 2