Reattaching Allroad plastic rear wheel flare trim extensions

ChrisP

Hi Y'All,

I believe that the OEM Audi Allroad plastic rear 'wheel flare' trim extension replacements come new with strips of double-sided sponge rubber adhesive mounting tape in situ, and all one has to do is pull the protective strip off the adhesive surface of the tape to affix.

However, I want to reuse and replace the piece of trim that came off, so have carefully and thoroughly cleaned it up, along with the exterior painted bodywork around the wheel-arch, to eliminate all traces of old tape, oil and wax etc, culminating in a methylated spirits (alcohol) rub or two. But what should I use adhesive-wise to reattach the trim securely? I don't want it falling off and any hazard aside, the OEM article costs £150 on eBay.

3M do a 2cm wide, double sided, 0.7-0.8mm thick, sponge rubber, mounting tape, apparently designed for this purpose but the reviews appear mixed (eg 'useless'). Casting the net wider using Google & YouTube etc, into the world beyond Audi, self anointed pundits suggest everything from 'No More Nails', to JD Weld vulcanised silicone rubber sealant adhesive, to a drop or two of Superglue applied to the failed adhesive surface of the original sponge rubber mounting strip -advice which for me came too late.

For the plastic wheel flare trim itself to stay in place, the adhesive will need to be strong enough to hold it under tension. This is because for the trim follow the contours of the car's hind-quarter, it essentially needs bending into place, and since the silicone, for example, needs 24hrs to cure to full strength, it would clearly need the use of some plastic clamps to temporarily hold it in place.

I can imagine making a dreadful mess with the silicone sealant, or the tape-mounted wheel arch flare falling off on the M5. Has anyone been here before?

All advice gratefully received.

Thanks,

Chris

Hello Christopher,

If this were mine,I would be driving the car around to a local medium sized bodyshop ( where you can talk with the workers rather than the receptionist), and seek advice there on the best product. 
You appear to have been very thorough in your surface preparation - which is so important. I wonder if the negative reviews for the 3M product is due to inadequate surface cleanliness. 
I’m sure the answer lies with the bodyshop contact. 
Let us know how you get on Chris.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks Gareth,

I'll call one tomorrow. Ironically, it actually came loose following the attentions of a large bodyshop, the kind that your insurer says you have to use to get the courtesy car entitled by your policy, and where you only get to speak to manager after making a complaint.

Chris

Edited by ChrisP

Thanks Chris. These bodyshops work on ‘screwed to the wall’ labour rates, and although the final result is generally good, they aren’t going to take the time that you take to prepare the surface. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.