Removing the engine bottom tray

Confession time.

I like to keep my 2022 2.0l diesel clean under the bonnet.

The other day, I was using a long handle, 40mm brush around the bay when its head fell off. It fell into the abyss. It’s not visible so is almost certainly now lying on the tray.

How difficult a job is it to remove and refit the plastic tray? Or, any better solutions?

just removed my large front undertray this morning but this is on an audi a4 b8 2011 similar to above but used a torx 25 bit mine are certain type torx screws where you just turn them twice and they are loose enough to pull out.there are 3 torx screws at the back of the tray and 3 at each side of the tray and then i am able to slide the try out backwards....note(if in your case) how the front part of the tray slots in place when putting it back with 2 slots going inside the small tray at the front and two slots stay on the outside of the tray....(note this and take a picture before removing.....you may just need to remove the 3 rear screws(again if in your case) and be able to grab the brush head but it will still mean jacking the car up and putting axle stands under.local garage might be helpful and only charge a small amount.easy enough job for me to do.

• Like 2

Thank you, both, very helpful replies.

The car is exactly two years old and only now is the screen showing that first service is required. I’ll be booking it in soon but I’m loathed to ask Audi to retrieve it for me. Even a ten second job at their million pound an hour equates to a high cost.

I’ll probably wait until after the service before jacking up the front end. I have two 1980s Fords so quite used to laying on my back but I’m getting a bit old for it these days.

The vacuum is an interesting thought, I may give it a try before getting out the spanners.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David A3 said:

Thank you, both, very helpful replies.

The car is exactly two years old and only now is the screen showing that first service is required. I’ll be booking it in soon but I’m loathed to ask Audi to retrieve it for me. Even a ten second job at their million pound an hour equates to a high cost.

I’ll probably wait until after the service before jacking up the front end. I have two 1980s Fords so quite used to laying on my back but I’m getting a bit old for it these days.

The vacuum is an interesting thought, I may give it a try before getting out the spanners.

Hi if they do the service properly and take the sump plug out the brush head will fall out anyway, easy way  out is if it is billed with a new plug fitted ask them if they found anything else in the tray as its a family heirloom.

• Like 2