Steering Lock.

Hello! 

I have an Audi A4 B8 (2013) 2.0 TDI car. One day it gave me a "Steering Lock : Contact workshop!" fault, when I started the car. The steering wheel locks and unlocks perfectly when starting and stopping the car, there is no issue with the steering or the steering lock at all, it locks and unlock itself. 
Yesterday the car didn't want to start, after pressing the key and the clutch down mutliple times repeatedly it started. Drove it for 30 minutes, was sitting in a parking lot for 30-40 minutes, maybe even an hour, the fault code dissapeared, the car started as usual with no problems at all. Today it threw out the fault code again, but this time the car starts normally, i just have the "Steering Lock : Contact Workshop" issue. 
The car was at a mechanic, the VCDS software didn't gave any fault codes for some reason, the mechanic couldn't clear the fault. 

Any ideas?

5 hours ago, David021 said:

Hello! 

I have an Audi A4 B8 (2013) 2.0 TDI car. One day it gave me a "Steering Lock : Contact workshop!" fault, when I started the car. The steering wheel locks and unlocks perfectly when starting and stopping the car, there is no issue with the steering or the steering lock at all, it locks and unlock itself. 
Yesterday the car didn't want to start, after pressing the key and the clutch down mutliple times repeatedly it started. Drove it for 30 minutes, was sitting in a parking lot for 30-40 minutes, maybe even an hour, the fault code dissapeared, the car started as usual with no problems at all. Today it threw out the fault code again, but this time the car starts normally, i just have the "Steering Lock : Contact Workshop" issue. 
The car was at a mechanic, the VCDS software didn't gave any fault codes for some reason, the mechanic couldn't clear the fault. 

Any ideas?

Hi try changing the key fob battery that is often the cause.

Steve.

13 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi try changing the key fob battery that is often the cause.

Steve.

I tried the other key , same issue. 

But I will try to change the battery in my main key, maybe it will help. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, David021 said:

I tried the other key , same issue. 

But I will try to change the battery in my main key, maybe it will help. 

Hi David, you will often find the spare key battery is in a worse state than the one you use as the batteries run down quickly when not used, if you change the batteries in both fobs and still have the same problem the chances are that the pick up ring that circles the key port is intermittently not getting the right information from the transducer in the key fob.

Steve.

On 3/10/2024 at 7:30 PM, Stevey Y said:

Hi David, you will often find the spare key battery is in a worse state than the one you use as the batteries run down quickly when not used, if you change the batteries in both fobs and still have the same problem the chances are that the pick up ring that circles the key port is intermittently not getting the right information from the transducer in the key fob.

Steve.

Hi. 
I changed the battery in the main key yesterday, and it did not fix the issue. However, the fault didn't appear today for some reason. I hope it will stay that way. 

• Like 2

The problem appeared again , so it seems like the nor the key nor the port was the problem. 

Any new ideas? 😄 

5 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello David,

Could now possibly be pointing to a faulty steering lock actuator-? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

The steering wheel should be locked even after starting the car if it was the actuator, no?