Ceramic brake upgrade for an S6

K200CWC

Firstly, is this possible?

Was it ever an option on the C8 S6's?  If so how do I get a parts explosion/breakdown for the the current "non-ceramic" and "ceramic" brake options so I can create a shopping list?

I'm not looking for performance reasons, I'm looking because the car is kept outdoors 50m for the sea.  The car is protected to hell and kept clean but I can't do anything about the brake disks and it's torcher listening the the grinding of the pad and disks every time it' rubbing off the surface rust, let alone the reduction is lifespan! 

Friend/neighbour has a GT3 and an M3 both both ceramic disks and doesn't have an issues even though he has his parked outside as well.

Cheers

I’ve used ‘LLLparts’ before, theyve been very helpful, even when I couldn’t find the parts in the catalogue.

So if you can’t see what you want in there I’m sure if you send them an enquiry, they’ll be able to give you both the part numbers and the ‘exploded’ diagrams.

4 hours ago, 56Doc said:

I’ve used ‘LLLparts’ before, theyve been very helpful, even when I couldn’t find the parts in the catalogue.

So if you can’t see what you want in there I’m sure if you send them an enquiry, they’ll be able to give you both the part numbers and the ‘exploded’ diagrams.

Cheers, I'll given them a go.

Hi Charles,

Instead of ceramic, look at 'coated' rotors/discs.

I know exactly what you are saying about the discs with slight surface rust every morning.  So i've been looking at Brembo's UV treated rotors.

https://www.brembo.com/jp/ComunicatiStampa/2012/Brembo_UV_Coated_Discs_EN.pdf

Let us (me) know if you get these, and how you get on 🙂

Thanks, Joe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JMKC82 said:

Hi Charles,

Instead of ceramic, look at 'coated' rotors/discs.

I know exactly what you are saying about the discs with slight surface rust every morning.  So i've been looking at Brembo's UV treated rotors.

https://www.brembo.com/jp/ComunicatiStampa/2012/Brembo_UV_Coated_Discs_EN.pdf

Let us (me) know if you get these, and how you get on 🙂

Thanks, Joe

I might be misreading the Brembo document but surly once the disks have done a few miles the coating will have warn away and we'll be back to surface rust??

25 minutes ago, K200CWC said:

I might be misreading the Brembo document but surly once the disks have done a few miles the coating will have warn away and we'll be back to surface rust??

Hi all E11/E9 discs are rigorously tested to get this E mark therefore they will have taken the surface rust in to account, the corrosion you are suffering wont make the discs rot any quicker than anybody else's , I use ATE/BREMBO on my car and occasionally get rust spots or complete film rusting over the whole surface and I still get 70k  out of them, it seems from my perspective that you are trying to build a case to buy what is basically a very expensive piece of kit just so your discs look nice in the morning, you make no mention of track days, if thats what you intend doing by all means go for it.

Steve.

Steve,  I have no issues with the Brembo product, I trust the brand.

My original post states

I'm not looking for performance reasons, I'm looking because the car is kept outdoors 50m for the sea.  The car is protected to hell and kept clean but I can't do anything about the brake disks and it's torcher listening to the grinding of the pad and disks every time it' rubbing off the surface rust, let alone the reduction is lifespan!

your feedback possibly negates the last six words, thankyou.

I have no wish to spent many thousands on a ceramic solution but so far nobody has come up with an alternate.  I might try a set of the Brembo's on the front of my car and feedback to Joe, as requested, before changing to a ceramic solution (if one exists) and if they don't resolve my issue. Finally, and with all due respect, your perspective is wrong and you clearly don't know me.

Hmm, been following this thread with interest, in a previous life I was a naval engineer, so I’m very aware of just how corrosive salt water can be, even over a short time and of course vented discs have an ‘inside’ that you can’t see, that’s corroding away merrily that close to the sea. ceramic discs will stop it all.

Coated discs, as Charles said, if it’s just a surface treatment, it clearly won’t survive as a surface very long and will then allow the swept surface of the disc to corrode, but, as it’s the swept area, there’ll still be the nasty grinding noises when you 1st use the brakes.

the coating, assuming it covers 100% of the entire disc (inside & out), would still stop those areas corroding but at a much lower cost.

depends how much the grinding gets on your nerves.

be interesting to see how you get on if you go for the coated discs, I’m fairly close to the coast (7 miles) but it’s not too bad here for salt spray etc, we get some, but only in high winds & storms.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, K200CWC said:

Steve,  I have no issues with the Brembo product, I trust the brand.

My original post states

your feedback possibly negates the last six words, thankyou.

I have no wish to spent many thousands on a ceramic solution but so far nobody has come up with an alternate.  I might try a set of the Brembo's on the front of my car and feedback to Joe, as requested, before changing to a ceramic solution (if one exists) and if they don't resolve my issue. Finally, and with all due respect, your perspective is wrong and you clearly don't know me.

Hi on the original post you quoted 50m from the the sea is that 50 miles or metres, I did not at any point say you don't trust Brembo just trying to fathom out why I have never had the same problem other than sporadicly as I live seventeen miles from the sea and if I get what you have the rust is gone within 900yds with no detriment to the longevity of the discs, if you factor in road salt over the winter months and all the various acidic compounds in the water when it rains its a no brainer the discs will along with everything else under the floor will corrode the time table for this is heavily dependent on the quality of steel used in making the bolts and even the plastic trim clips holding the under tray and wheel arch liners on they eventually harden and fail, I only use high carbon discs with no small success, with both ceramic and carbon fibre disc the downside is the extra time they take heat to the level where braking efficiency is optimum, this is caused by the fact that both mediums are 50% better at losing heat than carbon steel and should realistically used on cars that are driven aggressively, so in essence you only have one of two choices.

Steve.