Hello and question time.

Well good day all.

I may purchase the following……

A6 C7
Black edition
1 owner
114k miles

The main reason is space, tax, fuel and I’m coming from a Land Rover Discovery 4 that cost me £710 a year in tax and £100 a week in fuel.

So can anyone point me what I should look for in this car as in faults etc etc.

Regards.

Check to see if the Cambelt and water pump have been changed. Also if it's an auto make sure the gearbox has had services on time. This also goes for the quattro system if it has it. 

Make sure all electronic items work Especially the mmi and air conditioning etc. 

Major parts that can fail are dpf, egr or turbo all of which could be £1k bill each. 

Also check YouTube videos for buyers guides. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks Steve much appreciated.

Ive asked the questions about the belts and servicing and they said if it’s not in the paperwork it will be done.

I presume the rest is down to luck and It’s not Quattro.

One of the niggling things in the back of my head is……

I went to the car sales and could not find the car, so went back the next day and found it inside the actual garage not on the forecourt?

This gives us alarm bells like is it inside because they are trying to hide water leaks etc?

Edited by Realist

Regarding them saying if it's not in the paperwork they'll do it, I'd want to know why a 10 year old car hasn't already had a Cambelt and water pump change and auto gearbox service! 

They should be checking the history and telling you what it's had done. I'd like to think a 1 owner car has had the work done on time. 

But with a 1 owner car you have to ask yourself why have they chosen to get rid of the car now. Sorry for sounding pessimistic. 

Don't forget if you purchase it, you get 30 days where you can get a full refund for the vehicle, or the garage has to fix issues free of charge. 

You could get an AA inspection or similar done on the vehicle. If the garage refuse then you'd have to ask why. 

2 hours ago, Realist said:

Yes same niggling question I have.

Thanks.

No probs, the fact it's a 1 owner car can also be a very good thing. But bare in mind it is a 10 year old car so could get some niggles. 

Hello Brian

Appreciate you have seen the car, but have you viewed and studied the service history details - some/all? could be on VAG’s service system.

We take it you have checked the on-line MOT history -? 
You don’t say what part of S. Wales you are, but is the car for sale in that area? Wherever the car is, it would be well worth getting a pre-purchase assessment carried out by an independent, close to wherever the car is. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Posted (edited)

Well I did the deed and paid a deposit on the below.

https://www.wheelcitymotors.co.uk/details/used-car-in-cf819ad/audi/a6/2.0/1115191/

It has a full history and all belts and gearbox done at 80k, drives like a dream, quiet no knocks or bangs and comes with a 8 month warranty , picking it up next Saturday.

Edited by Realist