Power steering a bit heavy

gsmdo

Hi all,

The power steering on my A4 B7 convertible seems a bit heavy. To be clear, it has always felt this way and I have sort of got used to it. The reservoir is at its top level, and it doesn't leak or make any noise, but it is significantly more difficult to turn at low speed than that of my other car, a 2014 Škoda Superb.

Now, the Škoda has electrically-powered steering, and the convertible hydraulic, but I still wonder if this is normal. Tyre pressures are correct, and I'm struggling to come up with something that might cause this.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike 😎

7 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Unless the power steering emis whining etc id say it's normal compared to new cars. 

Thanks, Steve - I think you're probably right.

Isn't it amazing how long it took manufacturers to come up with electric power steering? Seems the obvious, cheap and simple solution in hindsight…

Mike 😎

14 minutes ago, gsmdo said:

Thanks, Steve - I think you're probably right.

Isn't it amazing how long it took manufacturers to come up with electric power steering? Seems the obvious, cheap and simple solution in hindsight…

Mike 😎

Hi it took so long because the software to run electric power steering was not that well developed, if mechanical steering fails you can still steer, on the early electrical steering if it fails you are stuck, the main reason for the development of electric steering was emissions as it wont require the engine to drive the pump thus pushing up engine emissions and electric steering has been about on production cars since about 2008.

Steve.

• Like 1