Timing belt

🖐️ hi, could you please give me any info on when to change my timing belt in my Audi A3 1.6 TFSI sport back it’s 2013 and has around 48,000 mile I know it’s the age of your car or 60,000? I know the water pump won’t need changed just the timing belt and Auxiliary drive belt, thanks in Advance 

Lynne McDonnell N.Ireland 

Hello Lynne,

Audi seem to have changed their recommendations on cambelt changes, and now maintain they don’t need changing until the mileage reaches c125k ( that’s from memory) - but more importantly - without any time limit.

Quite a bit has been written on here, so well worth a read before  making your decision.

For what it’s worth, I’m sticking with my previous regime of renewing every 5 years, even though I do low annual mileages. Low annual mileages and more frequent stops and starts place higher strains on belts. By that logic, your car is now slightly overdue for its second cambelt change. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Ditto what Gareth wrote. Let me add that it is always wise to change the water pump belt at the same time as the cambelt because the same expensive work is needed to access them both.

• Like 1