Front ARB clamps

Doing some work to the front end of my a3 and encountered a problem with the front anti roll bar clamps. Problem being, they will not come off. They're the type of clamp that has a top and bottom plate surrounding the Bush and bolt in through the subframe. Does anyone know where I can buy new ones so I can give up fighting with them and cut them off. 

For reference, this is what they look like, can't purchase these as they're part of a arb kit and the kit is £400 and for a tiguan lol

Q0635_213198bd-554f-4e79-b3ab-cfc9a42dd71d_1200x.jpg

Hello Miley,

First problem first:- what is the (cleaned up sufficiently to measure) dia. of your ARB? Believe it could be either 18mm or 21mm. 
Getting old ones out? Um! - splined fixings! - you will end up having to drill them out, and refit the new ones using suitable  bolts and nuts. 
Dependent on what size your bar is, I might have a new and unused ‘bought the wrong size’ set here. I will have to check what diameter bar this set is for. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Hey, I have it written down but I'm at work atm. The bolts came out easily and the arb was moving freely, I just cannot separate the two halves of the clamp to remove them and replace the bushes. 

Apologies Miley, 

Missed the ‘front’ bit, and I went on to talk about the rear bashes and saddles. Sorry-senior moment! 

Miley.

Old rubber can certainly stick well to rusty steel. Have you tried splitting the plates with hammer and cold chisel? It would help to have them lightly bolted in place to stop the ARB bouncing around and absorbing the hammer shocks.

6 hours ago, MileyFinley1 said:

I have yeah, I spent a good 2-3 hours on it yesterday and there was no joy. 

Hi if you take the bar off and run the holes through with an oversize drill bit the two parts should come apart as the top and bottom plates are held together around the bolt holes, but before doing this measure the roll bar itself with a vernier caliper to see which size bush you need as there are three different sizes, also pay attention to the other shape of the new bush so its the same, they are going to be murder to fit but do not lubricate the inner part of the bush and use washing up liquid on the outer part, once on the bar the new bushes can be coaxed into the upper part of the metal mounting using a piece of wood either side and a large G clamp this should get it far enough in so when you put the base plate on bolting it up should pull it in the rest of the way, unless you have the facilities to grind off the old captive nuts you will need longer bolts and new nuts.

Steve.

• Like 1

An alternative to washing up liquid could be ATF (auto transmission fluid). 
Sorry, I’ll bow to Steve’s three sizes. I know there’s a  choice of two on the back, because it cost me to have bought the wrong size in the first place! 
Hope all goes well with it Miley.

Kind regards,

Gareth.