Stop/start abs issues

5 minutes ago, sk10boy said:

I need help..just had my abs pump replaced..had the car 10 months..abs never worked..stop start never worked only when car stalls then kicks in..when it stalls and restarts get a brake warning message and alternator not  charging message..turn off and key start message gone..thought it might be a dodgy battery affecting this..but just tested battery with a multimeter..12.74v..14.36 car idling..so battery and alternator are ok..abs pump ok..was coded when fitted..driving me mad..abs stop start  still not working..came out this morning car wouldn't start...esc light on and clicking on key turn..jumped it it started...then tested battery..battery good. Anybody got any ideas?? HELP!!!

12 minutes ago, sk10boy said:

13 minutes ago, sk10boy said:

I need help with my 2012 a3 8pa

32 minutes ago, sk10boy said:

Hi to be honest you can't tell what a batteries condition is with a multimeter, best go to Halfords and get it tested under load I.E, everything switched on lights, blower, heated screens, if the battery is remotely the original its knackered, you say the ABS pump was recoded with what?, was it your unit repaired or a new unit.

Steve.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sk10boy said:

just tested battery with a multimeter..12.74v..14.36 car idling..so battery and alternator are ok.

Unfortunately that data does not tell you the battery is OK. Get it tested professionally as Steve suggested, though I would not classify Halfords as professionals.

Turned everything on..lights..blower etc..putting out 14.4v.. abs was used not new..coded with Audi software..sometimes car will switch off when stopped..but will not start when clutch depressed..have to key start.. the problems have to he electrical I'm thinking....but..I'm no mechanic..its driving me nuts!!

As has been said Paul - you must get the battery’s efficiency properly tested before being concerned about other causes. Also have the alternator output checked at the same time. 
Please come back to us with the results of these free tests.

Kind regards,

Gareth.  

47 minutes ago, Magnet said:

As has been said Paul - you must get the battery’s efficiency properly tested before being concerned about other causes. Also have the alternator output checked at the same time. 
Please come back to us with the results of these free tests.

Kind regards,

Gareth.  

I'll let you know..cheers

• Like 1

Has the battery been coded to the car?

If the car thinks it's got an agm and it's actually a lead acid leads to a lot of problems.

3 hours ago, Rybrook said:

Has the battery been coded to the car?

If the car thinks it's got an agm and it's actually a lead acid leads to a lot of problems.

It's got an agm on it. Never had starting problems until the abs pump was changed last Friday. Not started every morning since. I've bought a new agm battery yesterday but not fitted yet. Not started the car today yet..but no doubt if running to form..it wont start today..

Just got in the car..wont start again...that's every morning since the abs.pump was fitted last Friday..bought a new agm battery yesterday..gonna put that on..see what happens..put it on ..turn ignition on..wait 2 mins..start it and drive about for 15mins??

Wondering why  have you - impulse bought? - a new battery Paul, without having the existing one tested first. 
What brand battery did you buy, as a matter of interest? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Magnet said:

Wondering why  have you - impulse bought? - a new battery Paul, without having the existing one tested first. 
What brand battery did you buy, as a matter of interest? 

Lion 70ah.. 760cca..from europarts. Fitted it starts a lot quicker..stop start still not effin working tho.turned on ignition...waited 2 mins for car to recognise whatever...then took it out on a run for half hour..gonna check all fuses now to make sure none.blown....cant understand whyit's not working...

Find someone with an obd11 and get it coded off, I had mine done on my 16 plate passat tdi, I got fed up of the engine turning off at junctions.

Does the cluster say its disabled (the A with a slash through it)

It won't work if the dpf is regenerating either.

39 minutes ago, cliffcoggin said:

You need to get the new battery coded to the car before some of the sophisticated functions will work.

How do ya do that? Got no code or anything on the battery??

46 minutes ago, Rybrook said:

Find someone with an obd11 and get it coded off, I had mine done on my 16 plate passat tdi, I got fed up of the engine turning off at junctions.

Yeah..even when its turned on.. mad..works when ya stall the car tho..

11 minutes ago, sk10boy said:

You need vcds or obd11, let's you select whatever battery you decide to use. Also you'll find it won't fully charge the battery without doing it.

1 minute ago, sk10boy said:

Right Quit panicking and read through the posters answers, as Rybrook pointed out you need a code reader to put the battery back into sync with the car OBD Eleven is a good choice its reasonable and does the job, you don't need a code as you can use the old one that appears on the scanner just change the last three digits when it accepts it a slide bar comes up that says write slide to the right and it informs the new battery to the ECU, why you bought a Lion battery is beyond me, they are absolute non cheap garbage you can have so much more for a few quid extra, in my lifetime I have had so many problems with this brand I avoid them like covid.

Steve.

• Like 1

Sorry to reinforce what Stevey Y has said about Lion batteries, and glad that we have a second independent opinion on them. I wouldn’t buy one if it was all I could buy! 

Sorry to come over as being critical Paul, but you do seem to be acting rather impulsively with this, and it’s costing you. 
We did give you sound advice to get your old battery tested, and if you had done that and it had been found to be substandard, there would have been ample advice on here on which brands to buy ( and in your case - what not to buy!) and where to buy at most competitive prices. 

• Like 1

As the driver of an electric car that is reliant on a lithium-ion battery for motive power I don't believe Li-ion technology is inherently rubbish, however it does require a sophisticated BMS (battery management system) to ensure safe, reliable, and durable operation. I doubt that the simple charging circuits on a 12 year old car will have that capability, so it seems to me that to fit a 12 volt Li-ion battery to the A3 is both wastefully expensive and a retrograde step in terms of performance. A plain lead-acid battery would do the job adequately.

51 minutes ago, Rybrook said:

Yeah..even when its turned on.. mad..works when ya stall the car tho..

Just got in the car..the.stop start is working!!!..thtas mad...I took every fuse out and replaced..just nipped out for 10 mins and it's working...lucky for me it shows  it was the battery.. let's see if it starts in the morning..if it does..I'll be happy..just need to get the abs going now..any advice?..I'll listen this time before going spending..👍

Just now, sk10boy said:

Just got in the car..the.stop start is working!!!..thtas mad...I took every fuse out and replaced..just nipped out for 10 mins and it's working...lucky for me it shows  it was the battery.. let's see if it starts in the morning..if it does..I'll be happy..just need to get the abs going now..any advice?..I'll listen this time before going spending..👍

I meant took fuses out and put back in

1 hour ago, Magnet said:

Sorry to reinforce what Stevey Y has said about Lion batteries, and glad that we have a second independent opinion on them. I wouldn’t buy one if it was all I could buy! 

Sorry to come over as being critical Paul, but you do seem to be acting rather impulsively with this, and it’s costing you. 
We did give you sound advice to get your old battery tested, and if you had done that and it had been found to be substandard, there would have been ample advice on here on which brands to buy ( and in your case - what not to buy!) and where to buy at most competitive prices. 

Ya live and learn magnet...but I got a really really good deal on it..if it lasts a couple of years I'll be happy..was the battery if the stop start working now..what ya reckon mate?