Audi A3 Tyre Pressure help?

BenWaatts

Hi everyone,

This is my first post as a new Audi A3 owner so I apologies if this has been posted in the past.

I have recently bought an Audi A3 5 Door Sportback (2006) and I have a query regarding tyre pressure.

My tyres do not need any adjustment at the moment, but just for my future reference, does anybody know the recommended tyre pressure for 18" 245/40?

There is nothing on the inside door stating what they should be. I have a graph on the inside fuel cap but it only gives the recommended pressure for 17" as apposed to my 18" tyres?

Also some of the tyres do say XL, i'm not sure if this makes a difference?

Is anybody able to help with this?

Thank you! 😊

Hi...welcome to the forum!

I have found these figures for the tyre size based on a 1.8 TFSi engine. 

245/40 R 18 93 Y 36 32 38 38

The above figures are for Front / Rear / Front loaded / Rear loaded

Probably best to measure the pressures at the moment and increase decrease to observe handling and tyre wear over a period, then you'll know if that's about right.

Regards,   Trevor - Admin

• Like 1

Hello Ben,

Good question in my book, and one which suggests - and I'm pretty certain confirms- that the car is fitted with non standard wheels. You really need to have this confirmed or refuted and if they are non standard then you would need to inform your insurers of this fact, otherwise you run the risk of possibly being declared uninsured - not a place you want to be. 

If it were mine, meanwhile I would go with a reasonable compromise pressure as if they were 17s. Trevor's suggestions seem helpful, but I am surprised about the higher than expected unloaded figure of 36psi for the front if I'm reading it correctly.

• Like 2