Limp mode

KILLERDOG

Took engine cover off and all I can see is pipes. Pipes , pipes and more pipes. Cant see the turbo or nothing. I will take some pics tomorrow, weather permitting. I'm sure Mr Musle will sort this out. Car is FSH and ive replaced the EGR and checked for air leaks and splits as best as I can. I will take some pics and post them up tomorrow. Thx dude :)

Ok, took some pics. I think the turbo is down the back of the engine. Ive taken a few pics. Also tested my N75 pressure valve using my Foxwell and it seems to be ok. I think its a case of Mr Muscle to the rescue, lol.

IMG_20170130_130618.jpg

IMG_20170130_130550.jpg

IMG_20170130_130606.jpg

IMG_20170130_134430.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah that looks a pain in the !Removed!. There is bound to be a YouTube video showing the easiest way to get the mr muscle in. Would be a pain if you have to come in from underneath but not the end of the world. Either way you'll need access to the actuator so will likely have to remove those inlet pipes from the back of the engine. 

Problem is to remove the main pipe at the back you have to get under the car to remove it off the turbo. So it looks like I have to jack the up and remove the engine protect tray at the very least. Ive looked at utube and cant find anyone with my model. I am sure the Mr Muscle trick will do it but its getting the car in the air that's the problem..

You mean dropping the exhaust from the turbo? 

Might be worth whipping that air pipe off to see if you can see where the EGR pipe attaches to the exhaust manifold above the turbo first. 

If you can get a mate to help should only take a minute 

Yeah, ive got a plan, lol. I am thinking of going to mates, 3 hour drive, do the Mr Muscle trick and drive home. I cant get around to doing it for a few weeks though. If I do go, I will post back and let people know the results. Hopefully it will help others in my situation.

Right, update on my problem. Basically went to the audi garage and he told me that its probably sticky turbo vanes. He said there is no point in him doing a diagnostic and changing me £45 +vat when it will not tell him its a turbo problem. Very friendly garage, great guys and didn't charge me any money for 20 mins of his time. He said he is willing to fit a turbo for me for the cost of £270 labour, and I can supply my own turbo which will save me a good £500. So I need to save and sort out the turbo or try the Mr Muscle trick. Hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by pointing you all in  the direction of this friendly non rip off garage. I will update this post as things progress. Thanks all :)

http://www.wirralcarcare.co.uk/contact-us/

• Like 1

Sounds like a very friendly garage :) as I said a while back I had this issue and it was a Turbo issue so was better to replace with an OEM turbo glad it's working out for you, keep us update :)

P.S No you're not breaking any rules, you're more helping out our community in finding a good garage :)

Regards

Bradley

• Like 1

Yeah bud , the guy at the garage was friendly and could of easily charge me £45 + vat for a diagnostic. But was honest and told me to save my money for an OEM turbo off eBay. Really impressed and I will be getting the job done asap. As soon as its done I will post back my results. Really tempted to do the Mr Muscle trick in the meantime though. :)

Sorry to be late to the discussion but as an ex professional chemist and one time home car maintainer I have always been sceptical of any "cleaner" that is squirted into the intake manifold or mixed into the fuel. To be safe for sale to the public they have to be pretty weak to start with, but then they get vastly diluted in use to the point that their activity can only be feeble. Has anybody seen conclusive evidence that they really work? As to Mr. Muscle, the only oven cleaners that really shift soot deposits contain caustic soda, a known corrosive of aluminium, and therefore not something I would put into a turbo if it is made of aluminium.

I have done the Mr Muscle trick myself and know a few others personally that have too with impressive results. it is a proven fix for sticky vanes, there is no denying that. 

for the record, this is not shooting snake oil down the intake or pouring snake oil into your fuel, this is pumping mr muscle in to the turbo directly and manually pumping the vanes to work it through and loosen all the crud. once you have done it you can see all the built up soot, etc. come out of your exhaust with a good rev!

Mate, if you can get a chance, give it a try. if not looks like you've done well to get a new turbo fitted for a good price

I'm trying to look at this from Darren and Clifford's points of view, and I have no doubt at all that pumping Mr. Muscle into the vanes of the turbo will indeed clean them. After all, this is a caustic type cleaner which will most certainly take the skin off your hands! -as well as the burnt grease from your oven, so it should take soot off the turbo vanes without any doubt. 

Now back to Clifford's point that he would not encourage its use, is based on good argument, since this going to get into your engine, and under extreme pressure. Most of the components of the engine through which air passes and gets combusted when it mixes with fuel are constructed of aluminium, and probably (don't have a Mr. Muscle to hand) Mr. Muscle would state it should not be used on such material. I can indeed imaging the pleasure in watching all that soot coming out of the exhaust following this, but then the realisation that this fluid has passed through every combustion component and found its way out through the catalytic converter for an encor. Pleasure? - or blinking heck? 

Probanly, the answer is to remove the turbo and clean the vanes and refit, but of course this entails far more work, and is far less of a quickie fix. 

Just an observation.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

almost there, the mr muscle goes into the outlet only, so, when it spins up it throws the crud straight down the exhaust. the inlet side comes from the air filter all nice and clean. 

remember, the turbo is sat after the exhaust manifold, not before it. you have 2 'channels'. 1 is air in and out the other is exhaust in and out, they are not joined. 

There are a few cleaning solutions available for cleaning turbo vanes, but generally, I have known a vast number of people replacing perfectly serviceable turbos because of gummed up vanes whereas a good clean up (by whatever way possible) is all that is required.

Ok guys, thanks for all your replies and advise on this subject. I have decided to purchase another turbo off eBay for £185, its a recon but it comes with a two year warrenty so I'm happy. Car is booked in on Monday 13th ( ohh ekk ) and I will post back to let you know how the car runs, hopefully limp mode has gone. I have provided a link for the turbo on eBay and the seller said they are happy to help and accommodate any forums members. Hope this help anyone on here. Post back soon, Paul.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A3-Skoda-Octavia-2-0-TDI-8P-PA-724930-GT1749V-103-Kw-140-HP-BKD-AZV-Turbo/262397652973?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3D5dea6a73335241ce8701bf767e198234%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D262842821783

IMG_20170209_145829.jpg

IMG_20170209_145845.jpg

IMG_20170209_145909.jpg

• Like 1

Cant keep mine, its on a returns basis. I am sending my old turbo back to him. Seems a great company to deal with though as they have spent a lot of time on the phone with me. I will post back on Monday night to let you know how the car runs. The garage is charging me £45 an hour / 5 hours labour. So all in all its me £450 ish for a replacement. I think that's a good deal myself.

yeah thats not bad mate. not that i think it will take 5 hours to change a turbo but not bad still. Although not as good as £2.99 for a tin of mr muscle that you can finish off in the kitchen! 

let us know how you get on