My S3's Exhaust has stopped Popping?

James H

Hi Guys,

So, I decided to put an aftermarket CAT BACK exhaust on my S3 8V and for 1000 miles it was amazing, truly amazing. Then suddenly, as I was about to embarrass a Vauxhall Corsa on the M1, my amazing S3 turned into a quivering wreck, EPC light on and power seemingly completely off along with the turbo. The sound of the car suddenly became very muffled and quiet. And the famously exquisite DSG !Removed!/ pop on upshift, well that sounded more like my nan plumping the cushions, flat, quiet and void of any substance.

I took the car into Audi and they said "its because you put an aftermarket exhaust on it" as the fault codes read "EXHAUST BLOCKAGE", So then I took the car back to the exhaust place and had them replace it with the stock back box. And when I went back for the car the mechanic said, "There is a load of soot and grime in your exhaust right from the engine through to the back box", which was great news.

And as a drove away with the car back to stock, the car STILL sounded quieter and did not pop but drove like usual. SOOOO.. I GO BACK TO AUDI, and they said "you have a cracked sump", they replaced that and cleared the fault codes...... 4 days later  I pick my car up with no fault codes, a stock exhaust and a new sump and GUESS WHAT???????? The car still sounds RUBBISH.

No one could explain the soot in the exhaust other than the Blaise service manager passing it off as "a natural process". I am furious as I have no answers and no clue what to do to make my car sound like it did before, popping and cracking like thunder.

I can only think that it is because I drive to work everyday and it takes me 2 minutes, stop start. Am I knackering my engine by not giving it a chance to heat up?

I drove it 100 miles yesterday in an attempt to clear out the soot but alas it has made NO difference.

Please someone help me and tell me how I can resolve this issue!

Thank you, James 

Hi James...welcome to the Forum

I would imagine you are correct in your theory of not allowing the engine to breathe.

Short runs and not allowing the engine to heat up effectively can lead to the engine clogging up along with the turbo, exhaust system and associated after-treatment emissions components.

I would start by running some cleaner through the fuel & engine and give the car a long run at high(ish) revs to allow the turbo to spool up for prolonged periods and the gases to push through all the crud. Works every time, but you may need to do this more frequently to get it back to where it should be.

Let us know how you get on with it

Cheers  Trevor

• 2 weeks later...

Something like this should work...its not the best but equally not the most expensive either

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WYNNS-12293-PRO-DIESEL-CLEAN-FUEL-EGR-TURBO-SYSTEM-CLEANER-500ML-DC3-X2-/391699758060?hash=item5b331ffbec:g:drgAAOSw4A5YnE6L

I would then recommend an 'Italian Tune-up' to clear it through the engine.