Central Locking Vacuum Pump Unit

robert123

Hello everyone. I own a Audi A3 1.8 turbo petrol 2002. Recently I have experienced a beep noise coming from the boot area, I have narrowed this down to being the Central Locking Vacuum Pump Unit. I have looked on line for a new replacement unit but can only see 'used'. These 'used' units can range from £30.00 - to £169.00 and they all promise the same thing. Obviously the huge price difference gives me cause for concern. Can a new unit be purchased and if so where? Or what should I be looking out for regarding the 'used' units. Any advise please. Bob.

• 5 months later...

The bleep is from the speaker and down to the alarm sounder batteries failing which is bellow the pump unit. So you need to replace the alarm sounder or if your prepared to cut the sounder unit open you can replace the batteries.

If you buy another pump then you will still have the problem.

16 minutes ago, Yodasbro said:

The bleep is from the speaker and down to the alarm sounder batteries failing which is bellow the pump unit. So you need to replace the alarm sounder or if your prepared to cut the sounder unit open you can replace the batteries.

If you buy another pump then you will still have the problem.

Chris, do you know if this affects other Audi models? 

Iv had a similar noise occur on my 2002 a6 but it's been intermittent. 

Hi Steve,

I'm not sure about the A6 but this is what I've found with the A3's

if you hear a bleep from the boot when the car has been parked for a week at first then as frequent as over night just after you turn on the ignition it is possible the batteries are failing if you have VCDS scan central locking module 35 (A3 8L) check for errors and you will see a error for the batteries sorry I can not remember what the code is.

The problem is on the A3 they leak on to the sounder PCB if left to long, I'm sure they are only designed to last 10 years before becoming a problem and any second hand sounder unit will have the same problem. 

1 hour ago, Yodasbro said:

Hi Steve,

I'm not sure about the A6 but this is what I've found with the A3's

if you hear a bleep from the boot when the car has been parked for a week at first then as frequent as over night just after you turn on the ignition it is possible the batteries are failing if you have VCDS scan central locking module 35 (A3 8L) check for errors and you will see a error for the batteries sorry I can not remember what the code is.

The problem is on the A3 they leak on to the sounder PCB if left to long, I'm sure they are only designed to last 10 years before becoming a problem and any second hand sounder unit will have the same problem. 

Thanks Chris :) 

iv had a beep from the radio whilst iv been driving. It happens rarely but it's weird!