How do I put service (spanner) light out? - 2006.

Magnet

Hello folks,

I am now servicing our daughter's ex A3 (previously dealer serviced on longlife schedules) on an annual basis due to mum and dad's comparatively low mileage use. I continue to use Quantum Longlife oil even though I now change it every year - bit OTT but....

Question:- Spanner light is on. Is there a way of extinguishing this without any plug in gizmos which I don't have access to? 

Is it just me, but do other owners find the dip stick to be user unfriendly in its markings? Why did they put that plastic serrated bit on the bottom as a gauge of the oil level? Very difficult to read and be sure you don't overfill. Well to me, I've seen much easier readable dip sticks.

As a matter of interest and to save trying to gauge it, does anyone know the exact oil quantity for an oil and filter change. It's a 2006 1.6 Sportback 'Special Edition" - which equals the basic model I think.

Many thanks,

Gareth.

I can't answer your questions Gareth, but I do agree the dipstick markings are abysmal. To read the level of black oil against a serrated brown plastic lump is nearly impossible. Years ago dipsticks were bare shiny metal with high and low notches cut into them, and were simple to read.

Thanks Clifford. That's very reassuring and dispels the myth that at my age, I should be just sitting in the corner, slippers on and complaining about absolutely everything! The first two, I refuse to do, the last one I always feel it worth passing an opinion if you think things could be better than they are.

Come back "tidy" (as we say in these parts) dipsticks as you say Clifford. Who on earth at VAG came up with a brown background on which to gauge an oil level? You rightly say black oil level is difficult, but I now find  that changing the oil every year it doesn't get that black - making it even worse to read! 

Still, we have a dipstick (engineered by a dipstick?). I guess better than not having one at all, which seems to be getting popular now. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Hi Gareth

Here is a link to Castrol's Oil selector   http://applications.castrol.com/oilselector/en_gb/c/search?_ga=1.163141183.2071412661.1488814913

This should give you the exact grade and quantity you need for an oil change...always worth buying a bit more in case of spillage and top up though.

The spanner symbol should extinguish if you follow these instructions. 

http://mr-fix.info/audi-reset-service-reminder-a2-a3-a4-a6-tt/?utm_source=AudiOwnersClub&utm_medium=ForumLinks&utm_campaign=referrals

Cheers  Trevor

Just tried the service reset, but unfortunately it doesn't work for me. The listing states it's applicable to the 8L up to 2006. Wondered if anyone has anything for the 8P. Many thanks anyway Trevor.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Update.

Friendly local MOT station gave me this procedure from the Autodata system:- 

Switch ingintion ON.

PULL and hold trip button until the message "Service" appears in the display.

Release button.

WITHiN 5 seconds, PULL and hold trip button until the message "Service in......miles......days" appears.

Release button and switch off ignition.

This worked for me in so far as it has extinguished the spanner. Actually, I did not see "Service" or "Service in......", but I did see a figure of 9000 in the last operation. I'm assuming that the spanner will come on again in 9000 miles, but could be wrong. If it's right, then that will be fine since an average annual mileage for it will be around 7K when it will be serviced again, and the reset done for a further 9000 - I hope! 

Thought this may be of help to someone at some time.

It appears that if the car is to continue to be serviced on a Longlife schedule then it has to be plugged in to the diagnostics to set up the next correct mileage/time service interval. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1