Spark plug failure

DPW28

Hi everyone, hoping someone can help me.

last august after a trip to a safari park I needed spark plugs replacing, driving around and in idle for 2 hours sent car into limp mode etc.

all fine until Sunday, was stuck in a traffic jam for 2 hours, same thing happened again, garage ran tests and replaced plugs that went as they were still under warranty.

today I took my car back to garage, the power steering light is constantly on (a mechanic had to replace ignition shaft 5 months ago as it had jammed, since then the Light has been on constant and power steering gone.

the garage told me something has gone (going to cost £1k if I want to replace it!, I can't remember exactly what it was at this point)

i drove out of the garage and car started misfiring, went into a kinda limp mode again, engine warning light as before flashing.

i went back to garage am booked in tomorrow.

Anyone any ideas why they keep failing and so soon? Will there be something more sinister making this happen?

Hello David,

It's unusual for spark plugs to fail and particularly as a set ( individuals sometimes perhaps). For a further set (same make?) to go for a possible third time is simply stretching the coincidence.

I would have a stab at something else causing the plugs to foul up, and the garage simply replaces the fouled up plugs - and off you go- instead of tracing the problem which causes them to foul up. Possible excessively rich mixture comes to mind, but that can only be a guess. Oil contamination from worn valve oil seals might be another possibility, but it would be difficult to diagnose without far more information. Does this car smoke or use oil for example? 

Re. power steering:- sounds as if you have an issue with the power steering pump which might account for an estimate of £1K. Been without power steering  for 5 months? - strong arms with these Welshmen! For it were mine, I would be wanting to know exactly what is wrong to cause both issues (at another garage?) before committing to any expense.

Perhaps you could let us have a bit more detail and keep us informed of how you get on. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. (fellow Welshman). 

David.

Of course there is something more sinister going on, because spark plugs routinely don't fail without a reason. You even said that your garage told you the reason and the cost to fix it, so why not go back and ask them again. They have seen the car, we haven't.

It's in the garage now being looked at.

the power steering only failed Monday when it was in the garage being looked at with spark plug issue (although the light has been on but steering fine)

interestingly the garage did say that they had noticed it smoking yesterday, ive not seen it myself.

Ill see what they have to say today...

Thanks for coming back David. Let's hope it's not as serious as the £1000 would have first suggested. It's always difficult to try to diagnose these things at a distance, and no disrespect meant, but clear and full descriptions are helpful - I read this incorrectly that your power steering had failed 5 months ago! 

Perhpas it would help you if the garage lists the things they think are wrong  (I take it via. Diagnostics as well) together with the cost of repair. I'm sure someone will offer you some advice on here should you then need it.

You didn't say whether the car uses oil or not, and if so, how much.

Good luck with it. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. What part of Wales? 

My bad sorry.

they are looking at the spark plug issue today and why it's failing. I had to fill oil last week but I haven't noticed it using more than any other time or leaks.

as for power steering theyve already said it's going to cost 800-1000 as it's an Audi and they will need a whole new rack rather than a part for it. They questioned if it's even worth it? Is there a chance to get reconditioned ones to tie me over?

im in north wales mate. You? 

Hello David,

Have you looked on eBay?

I've just looked for you and you have no end of choice for racks, ranging from around £50, to some reconditioned seemingly, for less than £150. 

With engine oil - "had to fill last week" - sounds a bit frightening if you literally have to refill. From a very low level? How much does it normally use then? I only ask, since your garage questions the worth of doing this work and only you know what this car is like. What model A3 is it David? 

Hope some of this helps.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thanks Gareth. It was the ignition coil that was the problem, I thought it was this when it 1st happened. So that's all sorted and the garage waived labour because they didn't spot it initially.

as for the steering rack does it have to be specific to the car? It's a 2005 model 1.6L hatchback.

thanks for your help Gareth, I'm a bit clueless with cars! 

Good news David.

With the steering rack:- Most components for a particular make, model and engine variant remained the same over a number of years. So let's say you would have had the same rack on a 2001 to 2006 A3 1.6 - this is only an EXAMPLE  and may NOT be fact.

Couple of options:- If you have faith in your garage then ask them to source the correct rack within your budget from a non-Audi source. Maybe the best option if you are unsure. Or, 

Ring up your Audi dealer and ask them for a (frightening!) price for the rack for your car by giving them the registration number. When they give you the price, ask them for the part number.

Armed with this part number, you can search eBay for the correct rack within your budget and confirm with the seller that it is indeed correct by checking the part number with them.

Just get a feel for what's what by dong a simple eBay search to start with. That will give you an idea what you are likely to get for your money. 

Good luck in sorting it out.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Ok so a bit of an update, the engine warning light came on again, shuddering, took it to a garage by my work place, lost confidence with other place. Leaving it with them to have a look. What else could it be?

also the chap working on it used to work for Audi, he's pretty sure the steering issue is nothing to do with the steering rack but with the sensor being out, he's seen this issue before and can be troublesome to realign.

im so confused with it all 😩

Hello David again,

Sorry to hear of your ongoing problems. Without being critical, I'm guessing you are not really spanner wise!

Nothing at all wrong with that, and great that you seek advice, and the best advice I would give you is to foster relations at one (smallish?) garage in your locality that you hopefully learn to trust and respect. They will be your best bet in looking after your best interest. Not sure how big the company you work for are, but if of some size and this garage is local to your workplace, then usually they tend to depend upon a good reputation, since bad news travels  fast in a small locality. 

From your part David, what you need to do is to look after the car you have, to make sure it looks after you!

OK, not very spanner wise, but make sure you check the oil and water once a week  ( "I refilled it a couple of weeks ago" is just bad news!) Check your tyre pressures once a month - and so on. All very basic, but well worthwhile.

Yes, I know there are more interesting things to do, but....   End of advice! -  and good luck with getting it sorted as best and most economically as possible.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1