A3 turbo problems

nervous

My Audi A3 has an intermittent problem with the turbo. What happens is I am travelling along with the usual acceleration etc when required. Suddenly it seems to suddenly loose the ability to accelerate, it will rev with the clutch depressed. If the ignition is switched off and on again, everything is fine. I have replaced most of the pipes around it, and needless to say it is always fine when at the garage. Any ideas where to start? Many thanks,

Have you had the codes read? Do you have the engine management light on occasionally?

my gut says new turbo. What miles are you on?

Welcome to the forum too.

Hi thanks for the reply. I do not have any engine warning lights coming on, I am not sure what you mean by reading the codes. Would you elaborate, I have always had it serviced regularly. As for mileage, I am about 114k.

Again, thanks for the reply.

David

Welcome to the forum David :) 

sorry to hear your having issues. When dan means having codes read, have you had the car plugged into a diagnostic machine? 

The machine will bring up any error codes which then signify what issues your car has. 

I would have to agree with Dan and would say it's the turbo. My sister had a similar issue with her Vw golf and basically the turbo had lost some of the blades from inside it. The blades had broken off due to age which meant it wasn't spinning properly and as such was affecting the power and acceleration. 

Hope iv helped

cheers

steve 

Steve, thank you also for the reply. I will get it down to the garage and plugged into a diagnostic machine, it is sort of what my gut feeling thought it was, but was hoping otherwise. I am assuming it will not be cheap. :-))

David

Nervous.

To amplify what Steve said, mechanics (I think they like to be called technicians nowadays,) are trained to diagnose car faults by plugging it into a computer and using the result to sell you a new part. That's fine if it works as intended, but if it doesn't and "Computer says no" then you are on your own. In other words if the garage tells you it can not solve the problem because there are no fault codes, take your car elsewhere.

Many thanks to all the people who responded, really appreciate the advice. I will get back and let you know what the result (good or bad) was.

One other quick question, would I be best at an Audi dealership or do you suppose any reputable garage would be as good if not a wee bit cheaper?

David

2 hours ago, nervous said:

Many thanks to all the people who responded, really appreciate the advice. I will get back and let you know what the result (good or bad) was.

One other quick question, would I be best at an Audi dealership or do you suppose any reputable garage would be as good if not a wee bit cheaper?

David

Your welcome David :) 

iv always had turbos replaced at our local garage. You'll only need Audi for the more tricky computer stuff. If your local garage can't diagnose the fault 

• 5 years later...