Skilly

Skilly

Hi my fuel gauge and temperature gauges work when they want to can watch my fuel gauge go down then turn it off and back up also when put fuel in the car doesn't register for about five mins temp gauge seems to climb up then thinks can't be bothered so falls back down again any ideas 

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum Nigel :) 

nice to see someone else who lives out my way :) 

sorry to hear your having issues and have to agree with Trevor, I'd say it's the dials. 

Cheers

steve

• Like 1

Hello Nigel,

In the olden days! These instruments would have been fed by a voltage stabiliser which pulsed a voltage to them to prevent the fuel gauge reading in particular, jumping around when the car cornered or went over a bump and the fuel level sloshed around. These could prove to be problematic and give the type of issue you have. 

I would guess there is probably a built in modern bit of curcuit technology which now does the same thing, and yes, it might be in the actual instrument panel - but maybe not.

If it were mine, I think I would be popping this around to a local trusted independent for a bit of advice. I'm sure they would have come across this sort of thing before. Taking instrument panels out is not really where you might want to be unless you have to.

Good luck with getting it sorted.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1