What is causing this noise?

DrB

Good evening Audi folks. 

I've had Audi's for years but for the first time ever I am stumped as to the cause of a potential problem and was hoping someone on here could help.

At the minute I've got a 2007 Audi A4 2.0 TDi (170) that has started making this awful noise. I've attached an attempt at recording the sound on my phone.

The sound does not change pitch or volume with engine speed but does with the speed of the car. It is loudest between 30 and 50 mph. When a dip the clutch and rev the engine the noise does not alter and the engine seems fine.

I was hoping one of you may be able to identify what could be causing it?

There doesn't appear to be any obvious drag on the car, nor does it pull to either side. So I doubt it's brake related. The tyre wear looks pretty even but it's only been making this noise for a couple of weeks. So maybe it's bearing related?

Hopefully the attachment works and someone out there can diagnose this annoying sound.

Thank you for taking the time to look.

PTT-20170612-WA0003.opus

Welcome to the forum Simon :) 

youll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

mid havebto agree with you and say it's bearing related. What's the mileage of the vehicle? 

Cheers

steve 

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate you taking the time to do so.

If it's a bearing then what's your thoughts on waiting until the next service is due (400 miles) before getting it looked at? Not sure about the potential consequences.

Mileage is creeping up on the 110k mark. It's been fully serviced throughout it's life but I've only had it 9 months so this is my first.

Cheers,

Simon

6 minutes ago, DrB said:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate you taking the time to do so.

If it's a bearing then what's your thoughts on waiting until the next service is due (400 miles) before getting it looked at? Not sure about the potential consequences.

Mileage is creeping up on the 110k mark. It's been fully serviced throughout it's life but I've only had it 9 months so this is my first.

Cheers,

Simon

Your most welcome :) 

in my opinion if it is bearing or anything wheel related I'd get it looked at sooner rather than later. It's better to sort it now then have to fix anything worse later on if that makes sense.  The car should last 400 miles but is it worth the risk? 

Hope iv helped

cheers 

steve 

Thanks for the advice gents, it's booked in for tomorrow morning (earliest the garage within walking distance of work could get it in).

Fingers crossed this doesn't break the bank!

6 minutes ago, DrB said:

Thanks for the advice gents, it's booked in for tomorrow morning (earliest the garage within walking distance of work could get it in).

Fingers crossed this doesn't break the bank!

Your welcome Good call :) Did you book it in for the service too? 

Turned out to be both front bearings, got them sorted all in for £310, not too bad. Major service on top and she's purring like a kitten.

Thanks for the feedback gents!

10 minutes ago, DrB said:

Turned out to be both front bearings, got them sorted all in for £310, not too bad. Major service on top and she's purring like a kitten.

Your welcome :) 

glad it's all sorted :) 

• 1 month later...
On 20/06/2017 at 8:09 AM, DrB said:

Hi, that would be wheel bearings then, not the driveshaft ones??