Airbag light

Martyn85

Hi guys my first post, just recently bought my first Audi. It's a Audi A3 2.0 tdi s line model 2007. I have just noticed that the airbag light has come on, I plugged my obd2 reader in and no codes or faults found. Has anyone else had this problem and is it a easy fix? I bought it from a used car garage and they have given me a 3 month warranty. Is it worth ringing them or can I just have a look and try myself? Don't want the hassle of going back and for the dealership. Thanks in advance 

IMG_9032.JPG

Welcome to the forum Martyn :) 

youll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

nice looking a3 by the way :) 

first thing I'd do is check your warranty paperwork as I wouldn't be surprised if the warranty is a separate company. If so your best bet is to check the list you would have been given to see if airbags or electrics are covered. 

If it is through the garage then I'd take it back to them. 

With regard to the airbag light it could be a simple case of a loose wire or even a faulty passenger airbag switch in which case it wouldn't be expensive to fix.

Obviously if it were an airbag then this will be an expensive repair. But also I'd be checking the car for any previous accident damage. 

Hope iv helped :) 

cheers

steve

• Like 1

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have checked everything I can think of checked fuses wiring under passenger seat. Also disconnected the battery but still on. So maybe a trip to the dealership it is. But if there was a fault with the airbag system surely it would be picked up on the reader. Strange one 

Your welcome, glad I could help :) 

hmm well you have thought so it's certainly weird it's not coming up on the code reader. If you've checked the wiring im Wondering if it's the airbag switch. But it sounds like a trip to the dealer is a must. As the car will fail it's MOT with an airbag warning light on. 

Keep us posted :) 

Cheers

Steve 

• Like 1

Hello Martyn from the Homeland,

It sounds as if you have been around the common causes for this - quite often the under-seat connector which suffers from dust and dirt etc. My advice would be - don't fiddle anymore! Just take a trip back to the nice dealer rather than ring them and ask them to sort it for you. A car with an inoperable/ suspect air bag system must be termed as being unsuitable for purpose and they have to fix it. Just be pleasant and non demanding, as we Welsk folks are! Whatever you do, do not mention code readers and fuses and wires and personal fiddling - recipe for 'you've messed it up' 

The car is 10 years old, and chances are the original battery has now expired and been replaced and this may well have had an influence over this problem. 

Good luck - I'm sure they will sort this for you. Don't think you are hassling them. If not let us know,- well let us know anyway. 

Kind regards,

Gareth

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys appreciate it. I will go back to the dealer and see what they will advise. If there's one thing I've learned is be polite and not demanding, by doing that your doing yourself no favours and won't get anywhere lol! Thanks again guys I will keep you updated 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Martyn85 said:

Just a update guys, my mate had a vag reader that he plugged in for me. No codes so we tried the erase codes button and light went off 

Glad there were no codes present :) 

keep an eye on it though incase the warning light comes back on. 

• 1 year later...

Hi

I have had the airbag light on since I disconnected the driver's seat connectors.

I have the VCDS and I get

1.Fault Found

01217 - Can't Decode, CODE File Not Loaded!

001 - Can't Decode, CODE File No Loaded - MIL ON

Tried clearing codes, but fault returns as soon as ignition is cycled.

Hope you guys can help!!

• 4 years later...

Hi guys- took out the glove box to repair on my Audi 8P .. refitted it. Now I have an airbag light on.

any advise? Could this just be a loose connection? 

Hello Shak,

Did you move the seat when you took the glovebox out by any chance? 
If so, it worth trying what has been suggested in a more recent post ‘SOS fault’. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.