C6 v C7 auto advice

Loadlugger

Hi all,

I'm new here but not new to audi.

I had a C6 avant and ran it to 185000 miles when it just became uneconomic to continue with it. It was a fantastic car it really was. I was offered a 2009 A4 avant B8 with 44k on at a good price and took it, great car but too small.

im now looking to go back to an A6 avant, I do 25k+ miles a year and I want an auto this time having always had manuals before. I have a choice of the c6 or C7 and my main worry is the reliability of the transmission having heard of issues in the c6 with auto boxes. I tested a C7 last week and wasn't bowled over by the refinement on the motorway, wind noise was an issue but maybe it was just that car. I would have another c6 in a heartbeat but how good (or different) are those auto boxes to the ones in the C7?

thanks in advance for any advice or info offered. 

Welcome to the forum:) 

youll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

with regard to the c6 auto boxes it's the cvt ones you have to watch. 

I also believe the c7 Diesel engines use more oil than the older a6 engines. 

Cheers

steve 

1 hour ago, Loadlugger said:

Hi,

thanks very much. Do you know if that's the one fitted to the 2.0 diesel? Is the one in the C7 a different box?

thanks

Your welcome :) 

i believe the c7 has a different box :) 

i also believe the 2.0tdi is one of the engines that consumes oil. My dad as a 66 plate Passat with the 2.0tdi engine and it likes to consume oil. Just to make you aware :) 

cheers

steve

Hi - I have a 2.0 TDi Quattro with Seven Speed Auto (S-tronic) 

In 6 Months of ownership (7000 miles)  the oil has not dropped. 

Gearbox is the best I have ever experienced. Seamless up and down shifts even in manual mode with paddle shift being used fairly aggressively.

Motorway speed wind noise is barely noticeable even at higher motorway speeds and with Quattro the handling and general road manners are exemplary. Could the noise you experienced be a combination of poor tyre condition (choice) and road surface?