A5 engine failure advice

Omar Faiz

2011 Audi A5 - engine stopped working one day (no bangs and 70K mileage). Not under warranty. Told by Audi that it will require a new engine (cost 9K). Anybody else had similar problems (or heard of anything similar? 

Welcome to the forum Omar, 

sorry to hear your having issues with your a5. Youll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch and will give you advice where they can. 

Iv also moved this topic to the a5 section. 

Cheers

steve

Hi Omar....welcome to the Forum

Have you had a second diagnosis as engines don't normally stop without some considerable damage that warrant an engine replacement and in which case I'm sure you would have seen something occurring, increased engine temperature, loud bang, warning lights.

I would confirm with another source that it has irreparable damage and what is damage and how it was caused.

Cheers,   Trevor

• Like 1

Thanks Dan

What do you mean exactly? Went into dealership and that is what I am told? They have had to put quite a lot of labour in to get to a diagnosis if that helps? Clearly I am not an expert. Like Trevor above - I just can quite reconcile that an Audi just dies after six years and requires a new engine. 

Bw and thanks again for advice

Omar

On 06/07/2017 at 0:46 AM, Omar Faiz said:

Thanks Dan

What do you mean exactly? Went into dealership and that is what I am told? They have had to put quite a lot of labour in to get to a diagnosis if that helps? Clearly I am not an expert. Like Trevor above - I just can quite reconcile that an Audi just dies after six years and requires a new engine. 

Bw and thanks again for advice

Omar

I am referring to the emissions scandal, lots of cars have had the recall to 'rectify' the emissions cheat. There has been several cases of VAG cars in general then breaking down days or even hours later, sometimes resulting in engine failure.

• Like 1

Was the emissions scandal only relevant to diesel engines or did it affect others too? 

PS. Audi, have said very little regarding causation. I still don't understand why this has happened. 

Hello Omar,

Sorry to hear of your problem. 

I think all those who have responded are really asking - have you asked the Audi dealership to give you a report on what has actually happened to your engine and why? The answer must be with them and to simply say it requires a new engine is not enough, and I don't believe a meaningful advice will be had via. the forum until you have that report from them. Whether you understand that report doesn't really matter, but need it you certainly do. Personally, I would not be content with a verbal report, but an e-mailed one would be acceptable - which you could then post on here.

It might be interesting to know how long you have owned this car, and whether it has a documented service history, and when it as last serviced. We take it the car has not been subject to recall in the recent past. 

"Causation" . Any chance you are in the legal/insurance claim business? Not a term often used on here.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

Hi Gareth,

"Causation" is medical too - as am I !

No written report to post I'm afraid. I received a written quotation but not a 'report'. Didn't ask for a report but will be doing so from them and a second opinion as helpfully advised above. Following calling Audi (UK - not the dealership) I was advised to take my grievance to the Ombudsman. I did. That is where I still am three months on. 

KR

Omar

Hello Omar,

Thanks for coming back on this. Causation - medical eh, and there's me believing that the term originated with the legal profession, which I still think it does, but it seems one is never too late to learn something new.

Still, back to your issue. Sorry to say it as it appears to me Omar, but we now understand:-

This  issue originates back (well?) in excess of 3 months ( since it has been with the ombudsman for that time) , and despite taking the case to them, it appears that you are not yet  in receipt of a report from the dealer - because up to this time, and on advice- you possibly have not asked for one. Pessimistic possibly, realistic probably, but I 'm not sure how the ombudsman is going to judge on that without such basic evidence to digest. You would obviously know better than I, but would this be a little like taking a case to the BMA without an independent consultant's report? Again, this will come over as being pessimistic, but a friend of mine took a classic car insurer case to the ombudsman, having failed ( over many, many months ) to get satisfaction from the insurer. He eventually won the case  after a further 18 months of deliberation! 

I would ask, where is you car now, how long it has been there, how is it stored, what would have been its current market value (in pre engine failure condition ) and what would you estimate its value will be in say possibly 18 months of sitting around waiting for a decision? Being in your unfortunate position,  all of these questions are reasonable to ask and answer - before you add the hassle factor - since yes, life can be difficult, but sometimes it boils down to biting bullets. 

I still think it would be useful to know what the background is with this car ( as was mentioned in an earlier post). e.g. how long you had owned it before the engine issue, service history, any evidence of earlier issues from service history information or information from previous keepers etc.? I'm sure this is likely to be of interest to the ombudsman as well.

Anyway, Omar, I think all I can do is to genuinely wish you good luck in sorting this out with Audi - which I guess is where your claim rests.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

Hey Omar,

Are you any further into the 'diagnosis' (see what I did there?).

I originally suggested the emissions recall as you hadn't stated if you had a diesel or a petrol. 

I would agree with Gareth ( I seem to do that a little too much) as his advice is sound. You need a full report on the situation.

Does you car have a Turbo? If these seize they create a lot of back pressure. To test for this take of the oil filler cap and see if the engine starts. If it does it indicates quite strongly a seized turbo or a blocked exhaust system. Though less common on petrols it could help identify a cause.

Out of interest I worked within the medical sector for 12 years. Now self employed but needing constant medical attention. Lol 

Regards

Dan

• Like 1