Noise when turning

Gavo

Good Afternoon All,

Apologies if this has already been answered but i could not find anything within the search.

I have recently purchased Audi A3 2012 2.0 TDI - 70K on the clock, and i seem to be having an issue. Everytime  i turn right at low speeds i can hear a grinding/humming noise but when i turn left i dont hear anything. I have recently had new disk and pads all round and 2 new front calipers as they had seize not sure mentioning these will help in anyway. I have recently had the drivers wheelbaring/hub changed as i thought this was the issue as i could hear it louder  on my side than the passenger side so had it straight in for a repair. i have changed the wheels over just incase it maybe a tyre issue but by changeing the tyres over the noise is still present so i know its not a tyre issue, before changeing the wheel baring i did try and feel for any play in both wheel but both seems solid no play what so ever but i did read that even a bad wheel baring may not have play in due to no weight on the wheel/baring. There is a small amout of vibration in the steering wheel at high speeds but not a excessive but when turning right at low speeds i can hear grinding/humming but disapears but as i starighten up. i dont want to be replaceing the passenger wheel hub & baring if this is not an issue.

Just to add i have had the car off the floor and started spinning the wheel and can feel a vibration through the passenger coil spring and when turning a vibration can be felt through the passenger coil spring but the drivers side unable to feel anything when spinning the wheel or turning.

I hope one of you are able to help or had the same issue and could confirm that its likly the wheelbaring on the passenger side.

Thanks in advance

Gav

Hi There,

Thanks for your message, without me sounding stupid whats that ? The AA have been out and checked all the joints under car and they have said everything is solid under the car no movement what so ever - ball joints/wishbone/drive shafts

We call that in Germany that way just looked up a translation for that. I think with my picture we cleared it 😃

• Like 1

Hi both

thanks for your responses - yes I know what that it now thanks for your picture. From what I have been told as the AA checked all joints and spun the wheels and confirm all parts are secure/ no movement - he check the cv joints and all look in good conditions cv clips

securely im place

Thanks for your help, the noise dose not sound anything like that. When I turn right u hear hum hum/ grinding noise  but when I straighten up the noise goes. 

Now this may be a seriously daft response, but could this noise be from the power steering rather than the drive train? Unlikely I guess - since this is an electrically powered system rather than a hydraulic fluid one - isn't it?

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Sounds like the passenger side wheel bearing as all of the centrifugal load/weight will be going onto that bearing when turning right.

Worth checking the rears as well but they will normally give a constant droning noise if they are worn.

Let us know the outcome

Cheers, Trevor

• Like 1

Despite what the AA man did or said, (and bare in mind their job is to resolve breakdowns, not regular maintenance), you have the classic symptoms of CV joint failure: namely a grinding noise at full lock, silence at straight ahead.

• Like 2

Hi All,

Thanks for your messages

I will try and make a video later today.

@Trevor thanks for your message I do not hear any droning noise when driving the car so that eliminates the rear wheel baring's , when I hit speeds of 50/60 MPH there is a slight wobble/vibration on the steering wheel if that helps

@cliffcoggin Thanks for your message I understand that the AA are there to resolve breakdowns but i needed to make sure that the car is safe to be driven in as I have my family in the car daily and that i wasn't putting them in any danger. What you are describing sounds right when turning right there is a slight grind/humming noise -for a split second then disappears.

As its a possibility it could be the baring or the CV joint i might just get it booked for a diagnostic and get them to repair what ever it needs to resolve as i don't want to be changing the wheel baring ands its the CV joint and vice versa - as I was told previously by a mechanic this was the drivers wheel baring so i had the hub & baring changed but the issue is still there.

If I manage to get it booked in the next couple of days ill come back to you and confirm what the issue was - hopefully the parts already mentioned

Thanks for all your help so far

• Like 1

Gavo.

You can test the CV joint yourself by gripping the drive shaft with Mole grips or the like, and trying to turn it back and forth. Any movement or clicking whatsoever means the joint is worn. Naturally the wheels and gearbox need to be immobilised during the test to avoid misleading motion.

Gareth and a Trevor are right.

When you turn right it puts more weight onto the left bearing. Therefore if it is starting to deteriorate you here it grumble  (If you turn left the weight leaves the left bearing so you don't hear it). However, if you have a Quattro the bearing on the rear of the car are 9/10 the same on the rear as the front and can therefore replicate the noise. On a 2 wheel drive car there is normally a tapered bearing so you would here the noise constantly, 

Dont despare too much on having the drivers side one done, it is very common for both sides to give up the ghost within a few hundred miles of each other.

Hi all

thanks everyone for your help the car is booked into the garage this Tuesday to find out what the problem is,once I know I'll let everyone know what the issue was 

Morning All,

The car is now in the garage

They have said is could be 3 possable thing

1 - Bad tie rod ends

2 - Wheel baring on passenger side

3 - CV Joint.

Once they have confirmed what the issue is i will let everyone know

Cheers for your help all 

Hi All,

car was in the garage overnight and they have road tested it and could hear it. They have checked wheel barings front and rear, drop links front and back, steering components and they have said the car is solid but they are unable to locate where the issue is as everything is solid on the car no play what so ever. they told me not to worry about it 

Not sure if i should give it to another garage to look at or just change the parts iv been advised it could be Wheel baring & CV joints 

I would be a little concerned that a professional mechanic can hear the noise but dismisses it because he cannot find the cause. There is evidently something wrong with the transmission/suspension/steering otherwise it would not make a noise.

Re-reading your first message you said you could feel a vibration when turning the N/S wheel in the air that you could not feel on the O/S. Was there any noise with that vibration? A worn wheel bearing rumbles, a rubbing brake pad makes a scuffing or scraping sound, a worn CV joint clicks.

• Like 1

Hi Cliff,

Thanks for your message.

I have just been to collect the car from the garage,i took it to  F1 auto centers as they was local to my work place. I spoken to the mechanic that had a look at the car he said i took it for a road test and i could slightly hear the hum noise when turning so i put it on the ramps for further  inspection. i have checked your suspension at the front and everything is working as it should, i have checked your tie rod ends and there solid no movement there what so ever. he also checked the wheel barings on the front but he said he can see that the front baring have recently been changed includeing the passenger side also checked the front drop links( which was changed by me only the drivers side ) He also checked the rear of the car wheel barings/ suspension and drop links and confirmed all was ok - he said he done some tests on the front end of the car and he could not pin point the exact problem. he had avised me to keep an eye on it and take it back if it gets worser for them to easyly diagnose the issue and repair whats needed. he did advise me that the car the safe to continue to drive