Audi A4 Silver Chrome Peeling all Windows

dayer.s@sky.com

Audi Glasgow have replied and stated that the car has been cleaned with a product that has damaged the car.  1st time I have heard soap and water being described as damaging a car.  Has anyone else had this issue?  Any advice on how to progress this issue with Audi?

Hello Stuart,

Sorry to hear of your unexpected issue. I'm just wondering if you have owned the car from new. Perhaps you could let us know.At least it sounds like it's been bucket and water cleaning during your ownership, and that's great.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hello Stuart 

sorry to here about this. To be honest I believe as your car is under warranty Audi will have to prove that damage was caused by an inappropriate product being used on the vehicle. 

I believe your Audi should have a 10 anti perforation/corrosion warranty but unsure how this works with the chrome. The warranty lasts regardless of owner but I believe is void if a body panel such as a wing is replaced due to an accident and non Audi parts are used. 

It's a shame that Audi started using plastic trim instead of metal. I say this as my old a6 has the old style metal which was chromed but now they use plastic. My trim has never deteriorated in the 15 years our family has owned it. 

As Gareth has said your doing the right thing only using buckets of water and suds. 

Hope iv helped 

cheers

steve 

Hi Guys

Thanks for replying.  I have the vehicle on a 2 year lease.  I have had the vehicle since new.

I initially called the Audi driverline number to report a lag with the car when accelerating after slowing down.  It was only while i was on i mentioned the issue with the chrome peeling.  Audi say that cannot replicate the lag.

As for the chrome peeling Audi have stated a product has been sprayed on the car chrome trim that has damaged it.  They say its a spray because there are small dots along the silver chrome that have peeled off and feel this is consistent with a spray.  Although to a certain degree i understand this reasoning I have not used any sprays on the car, this is incorrect. 

If as they say something was sprayed on the car chrome trim then i would expect some of any spray to go onto the paintwork, yet the paint remains undamaged.   

What i also fail to understand is if a product even exists that would damage the chrome trim only and not the paint.

Not happy with the response from Audi.

Your welcome :) 

what ever you do don't leave it. Keep badgering them! If it were me I'd ask Audi what substances would damage the chrome. And then see how many of them damage paintwork too. If they all damage paintwork as well as chrome then we have to assume that there conclusion is based on circumstantial evidence. 

Cheers

steve 

Hello Stuart,

Thanks for coming back.

Are you confident that this car has never been cleaned with a jet wash while in your keeping - never? Honest - never? 

Can I take it an Audi dealer has serviced the car while in your ownership (the same dealer currently in question)? 

If yes, did they return the car to you, having cleaned it? See my drift!? 

I would certainly agree with Steve and I would persue this.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

On 18/07/2017 at 1:10 PM, Magnet said:

Hello Stuart,

Thanks for coming back.

Are you confident that this car has never been cleaned with a jet wash while in your keeping - never? Honest - never? 

Can I take it an Audi dealer has serviced the car while in your ownership (the same dealer currently in question)? 

If yes, did they return the car to you, having cleaned it? See my drift!? 

I would certainly agree with Steve and I would persue this.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth

To answer your questions the car has been rinsed with a jet wash many times.  However i never noticed an issue after rinsing and would expect all the chrome to have peeled off not just spots had it been down to rinsing with a jet wash. 

The car is on a longlife service plan so not needed serviced yet as its under 2 years old and only done 6800 miles. I see where your coming from but TBH want to find out how this issue happened.

It was mentioned the chrome trim on the car is plastic.  I wonder if a spray is used in the process to apply the chrome to the plastic trim and whether this is significant.

I was wondering if anyone else had the same issue i could quote as precedence, hence the reason for posting here.

Hello Stuart,

Many thanks for the helpful reply, and we can now (unfortunately!) eliminate the dealer from any involvement with this since it hasn't been in their hands for servicing - and therefore cleaning.

Taking your point about using a jet washer to rince to car, I wonder if you could let us know your exact procedure and products used for cleaning the car from scratch when you do it.

So we take it you have never had it cleaned by anyone else? 

Kind regards, 

Gareth.