Remap is it worth it?

WPAWS

Just wondering if a remap of my A6 is worth it and if any pros or cons in having it done, was told from a mate if i had it done not to mention it to my insurer as this may up my premium is this also true?

Hi Paul your mate is correct. You have to tell your insurance company and it could affect your premium. However if you don't tell them you won't be covered if you do have a crash. 

The 3.0tdi does benefit from a remap as it makes the torque smoother. Each remap should be tailored to your car as it will differ to other 3.0tdi out there due to age, mileage and the way it's been driven. The remap will also increase your bhp and potentially/slightly improve your fuel economy as the engine is less restricted. 

The down side is that if the car is not in top shape and any parts of wearing out then the remap will accelerate this wearing process. 

By the way Audi Tuner magazine ran an article on modifing the a6 3.0tdi in their previous or current issue. Might be worth you getting a copy :) 

hope iv helped 

cheers

steve

• Like 1

I also agree with Steve's advice. Especially in terms of an accident, your fault or not. The accident investigation team plugs the car into a reader (VCDS usually). This will give a reading on the programmed map on the car.

Best advice is to approach your current insurer with the question, could I have my car remapped for ecconomy (who's to say how much power could be gained from that?) They will say yes or no. If no don't do it. Wait until you next insurance due date and shop around for insurers that allow upgrades.

😈However, the 3.0V6 is one hell of a responsive motor. I have seen one taken way past 400bhp with a map and turbo, exhaust and a bigger IC. But I believe 300 is easily achievable from a reMap alone.

I have fitted a bigger turbo to my T5, it hasn't been remapped though (still comes up on VCDS as a 130) and it is now running at over 170bhp. But, I have reduced my oil changes to 10-12k and I use an oil additive called ZX1. This helps to protect from future wear in my opinion. I haven't uprated the brakes but I have put larger wheels and good grippy tyres though!! 

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback guys, spoke to my insurance company and i will see an increase in my insurance so will leave it for now and shop around when renewal is due