a6 avant-please help

Clueless123

Hi, I.m wanting to but an A6 avant. Up to £10,000.

Can anyone tell me what the main mechanical issues are, what needs changed at certain mileages etc and approx cost?

Currently driving A6 ultra saloon but need to change to avant and wanting to keep costs down!

Much appreciated

4 hours ago, Clueless123 said:

Hi, I.m wanting to but an A6 avant. Up to £10,000.

Can anyone tell me what the main mechanical issues are, what needs changed at certain mileages etc and approx cost?

Currently driving A6 ultra saloon but need to change to avant and wanting to keep costs down!

Much appreciated

Are you looking to buy avant c6 or c7 platform ?

Avoid the manual. The DMF is very weak. I have driven over a million miles in cars and never had an issue yet had 4 (in total, 3 replacement) clutches and DMF in 60k miles. In the end I gave up and P/X'd the car with a clutch judder.

Now have an auto, much better.

4 minutes ago, niedzial1983 said:

I think you will struggle to find a good c7 avant for 10k

have to agree i have a 2008 86,000 on the clock which started @ £12,000 but dealer over a few months dropped to £10,000 which i snapped up for £8,000 with £2,000 px on my old car, in good condition and good spec these cars seem to hold their asking price.

for a  c7 avant for 10k you will be looking at 100,000 plus on the clock easy, lower the mileage higher the price

i also have the auto gearbox 3l tdi and as of now have had no issues with it the 3l engines also come with the chain belt not the cam belt in the 2l versions to the best of my knowledge 

I have to agree with Piotr and Paul here, you will have to not be too picky if you want a good C7 for that budget. Mileage will be high!!

If your daily mileage is small for the commute etc then you might want to consider a petrol as you will more than likely get DPF issues (basically exhaust issues) if you go diesel.  If your miles are high then diesel all the way.😈

V6 or 2 ltr engines are good and reliable but for sure the biggest pile of papers with a car showing services etc is a must if mileage is high. 

If V6, I would have the autobox, it's just simply feels so right. With the 2.0 you will get a bit more enjoyment out of the manual to eek the best out of the rev range/power delivery. But yes the DMF (Dual mass flywheel) can be a bit of an Achilles heel for VAG products these days. But one-off the latter  is cheaper than an autobox rebuild.  Luck of the draw though I guess.

For your budget you might get a run out C6 fully loaded with less than 100k on the clock and still be the envy of your neighbours.

Good luck whatever you decide mate.