Brakes

Buck

Hi guys, 

my a4 has just started making a noise when I brake. And it's going through me haha my pads etc all look ok just wondered if it was a common thing and if anyone nos how I can't sort this? 

Cheers 

Andy

Hi Andrew

When did you have your pads/discs changed?

Have you tried to feel for any pitting or lip or scoring on the disc it self? (when cooled down)

Kind regards

Bradley

13 minutes ago, Brad-B5 said:

Hi Andrew

When did you have your pads/discs changed?

Have you tried to feel for any pitting or lip or scoring on the disc it self? (when cooled down)

Kind regards

Bradley

Hi Bradley 

they was changed at the start of the year and they look and feel fine maybe they just want cleaning then. Just I read on some forum that lots of people are having the same problem

kind regards

Andy

35 minutes ago, Brad-B5 said:

Strange, I'm afraid I can't really help any further, (don't want to give you false information) so I will wait for someone who can help further :D 

No problem thank you for your help though

3 minutes ago, Dan3222 said:

Hi mate,

is it just noise? Any feedback through the brake pedal also?

is the noise a squeal or a rubbing grinding noise?

Hi

no through the pedal that feels fine but it's a squeal sound louder from passenger side. And it makes this whenever I brake no matter if if hot or cold fast or slow. 

2 minutes ago, Buck said:

Hi

no through the pedal that feels fine but it's a squeal sound louder from passenger side. And it makes this whenever I brake no matter if if hot or cold fast or slow. 

IMG_0349.JPG

IMG_0350.JPG

Hi Andrew....I think the best bet would be to take the pads out to see if any of them are sticking and causing the pad to drag on the disc.

Resonance can be amplified if the pads have been fitted dry (e.g without any copperslip or similar).....won't take long to do if you were to whip it into a garage for them to look at.

I agree with Trevor. Probably just needs a little bit of TLC with a bit of copper slip on the back of the pads where they sit in the calliper. Very easy to do yourself if you have the basic tools. Obviously just don't get any on the disc or pad face, stating the obvious I know.,. But!?! 30 mins max at a garage though.

Pics show there is loads of pad material left and discs are in good order. So just TLC

Hello Andrew,

I'm even boring myself now by asking posters to answer a couple of questions! 

Were the repalcement pads genuine VAG or aftermarket ones, and if aftermarket, what make? It seems pretty certain that the disc were not changed at the same time.

Dan and Trevor's advice just may well sort this out for you. There is now a school of thought against the use of a smear of copper grease on back faces of the pads - in favour of silicone grease. 

Good luck in getting it sorted.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

2 minutes ago, Buck said:

Never mind my friend just had a look who used to work in a garage and he said they look fine

As the surace of the disks is not even when breaking pads are touching the groves first that can couse brake noise . Just saying :) 

Although I understand Piotr's point about some grooving on the brake discs (or rotors as they say in the US of A! ) it has to be realised that although this is not ideal, it is a fact of service life, and it is surprising how quickly this now occurs ( anything to do with brake pad compounds and the suggestion some years ago that discs now wear as quickly as pads). Anyway, the simple fact is that it is the pad which causes this wear, and it is not logical that the grooves reduce the braking efficiency since the pads wear in peaks which correspond to the disc groove, so 100% contact. As far as the disc thickness is concerned ( lip on edge) then this can only be assessed by measurement against the specified minimum acceptable thickness. 

You didn't tell us what make pads were used Andrew.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

For me these disks  look original as they look same as mine after 11 years . 90% of these groves are caused by heat with is generated by braking over many years . 10% would be caused by pads and stones that could get trapped between .