New 1.5 tfsi engine

Mark57hv

Hi, I own a 2016 A3 1.4 150 TFSI and recently went for a service and I was loaned the 1.5 TFSI. I found the exact same issues you describe and it also would kangaroo when at low speed in car parks etc. I asked the service receptionist who said he found the same issue and that Audi are aware and working on a fix!!!!  I found my 1.4 much smoother, punchier and quieter. This 1.5 engine has been around now for a couple of years and still working on a fix!!!!

My 1.5 TFSI A3 was recalled by my dealer on 5th Sept to have the long awaited software fix applied. Initially I thought the problem was fixed; no hesitation when setting off and much livelier performance. However, the hesitation returned after a couple of days although not quite as bad. I did a deal last Oct to change the car for a 2ltr diesel just so I could be done with this problem even though I don’t do the miles to justify a diesel and although I’m still waiting for it, I can’t wait to say goodbye to the 1.5 TFSI. I hope the software fix is better for you all. I intend to tell the dealer that the car is still not right but having gone down the route of changing it, I’m not going to waste much time pursuing this problem. Don’t think I will be buying another Audi.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Andrew,

I would like to think that the answer to your question lies (even) in the the most recent posts. This may not be what you want to hear, since it is human nature to ‘fall in love’ with the car you want to buy, and then seek reassurance that all is now reasonably well sorted. It would appear not to be reliably so. 

Sorry, but I would say buy at your peril.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

p.s. You should be able to send private messages to any of the posters to see what they would advise. 

Our car has had the software fix and it seems to have solved the problem, for now anyway.  Still a slight hint of losing power in second but I’m a bit paranoid about the engine now.  It’s not a patch on the 2.0 diesel.  The dealers were extremely unhelpful. Last Audi for me I’m afraid.

• 4 months later...

Hey all, i am new to the group and this was one of the main reasons i joined this forum to see if anyone else is having this issue. I had the issue with 1st-2nd gear change bunny hopping. I had the software update and it rectified the issue. The only thing now is that it bunny hops 2nd - 3rd preferably when cold first thing. Several visits to Audi and they are basically saying its fine and not being able to recreate the bunny hopping. A3 8v 18 plate 1.5 TFSI. 

• 1 year later...

Hi, i have also just bought a used Audi A3 1.5 tfsi S tronic,the problem i have is minimal,but it does have a slight pause in power at low speed,almost like the fuel is momentarily cut off & then turned back on.I have another issue with the engine noise whilst ticking over,listening outside the car,i personally think its a bit noisy.Not sure if the COD  has something to do with it.I have dropped mine off at Stoke Audi tonight for investigation ,however i was told by the guy that booked me in that if nothing was discovered that i would be liable to pay the diagnostics fee of £156.He told me that the issue with the Kangarooing effect was only on engines post 2019.

22 hours ago, The Rod said:

Hi, i have also just bought a used Audi A3 1.5 tfsi S tronic,the problem i have is minimal,but it does have a slight pause in power at low speed,almost like the fuel is momentarily cut off & then turned back on.I have another issue with the engine noise whilst ticking over,listening outside the car,i personally think its a bit noisy.Not sure if the COD  has something to do with it.I have dropped mine off at Stoke Audi tonight for investigation ,however i was told by the guy that booked me in that if nothing was discovered that i would be liable to pay the diagnostics fee of £156.He told me that the issue with the Kangarooing effect was only on engines post 2019.

Update on my post, Audi have said there is no issue documented for my engine type,however the technician did notice a slight "lag" in response when he road tested my car.Audi said that they could install the Update for the 2019 engine which does have documented issues to my car.The technician road tested my car after the update & noted a definite improvement as do i.I have been asked to monitor the situation and get back to them if the issue returns. 🤞

• 2 weeks later...

Folks, I've had issues with my A3 1.5TFSI manual ever since day 1 (it'll be 3 years old in Nov 21). Basically two things, 1) its very difficult to pull away smoothly. I've been driving for 40 years and can't remember having a car that's so bad for kangaroo petrol. Particularly difficult to pull away slowly, like when in traffic. And 2) at around 2000 revs there's a distinct hesitation, feels almost like a mis-fire or stutter. I suspect this is the transition from 2 to 4 cylinders. Car has been back to Audi, couldn't find anything wrong, updated some software and sent me on my way. Only reason for posting now is that I'm thinking about another car later this year but certainly don't want another one of these if this is the normal way they drive. Oh, other than the issues, its great on the motorway, but then aren't most cars? Would appreciate any feedback, cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, my A3 just gone back in to Audi for the second time, about a week after the ecu update the smoothness faded and back came the engine hesitation. Apparently they can't replicate the fault  so can't fix it,im getting a bit fed up to be polite. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...