audi a4 2.0tdi avant 2007

jamieloveday

driving to work this morning everything seemed fine, about half way my car seemed to lose power. I stopped and tried restarting

it idles fine but as soon as I tried to pull of it cut out. it restarts fine but is smoking when accelerate and still cuts out when I move.

I called the AA he blanked of the EGR but still nothing no faults came up but said the turbo was quite whistley.

anyone had this issue before?

its in my local garage now so fingers crossed

I'm wondering if this is dpf related? 

If the dpf is blocked then this will cause the car to struggle to run after start up and can cause it to cut out. 

In terms of turbos: 

Admittedly some turbos do whilst when they leak would often mean you would be down on power. If the turbo failed completely the car would still run but you'd be limited to approx 30mph I speak from rough experience with my a6. My dad had turbo failure at 75k hence why I know he could drive it at 30mph. 

At 328k my turbo whistles but it's done it for years and still drives fine. It's often the seals/gaskets on the turbo that start to leak. 

In some cases the blades in the turbo can break off which can cause loss of power temporarily as the fan is spinning. This ultimately can and often destroys the turbo. 

Hope IV helped and hope it gets sorted soon :) 

Cheers

Steve