Newbie saying hello with a question or 2 馃憤

MrTapster
聽Share

Hello there.

I'm completely new to Audi having just had my 320d tourer written off after driving it into a puddle and wrecking the engine. I want something bigger than the 3 and a change from BMW.

So I have a couple of questions to help me find the right car. Initially I looked at A4 Avant, but after reading a few article, the A6 seemed a better choice for me. So, I'm looking for a new A6 Avant.

My budget will allow a high spec low mileage 2011 C6 s-line special edition or a higher mileage, standard spec 2012 C7 s-line. Both will be 2.0tdi's. (although I've seen a 2.7dti C6 but lower spec and higher mileage)

Reliabilty and running cost is my main concern. I think both look great so aesthetics is not an issue. I was wondering if the later 2012 model had issues being the first of the new model and therefore the older C6 may be better being the last of its model and all issues ironed out.

I think I'd be looking at the Manual box to avoid cost of issues with the multitronic.

So questions

1) which would be the better car to buy, top spec C6 or lower spec C7

2) What issues should I be looking out for on either model

3) Open to suggestions if there are other options.

Thanks in advanced, will no doubt be stalking around here many more times in the future.

Chris

聽Hi and welcome, if it was my money i`d want聽high spec low mileage 2011 C6 s-line special edition over聽a car thats a year newer with high mileage聽and no bells or whistles thrown in聽

i`m sure others will be along to give their聽views too聽:yes:

Thanks for your reply Paul

After doing some digging, the newer car doesn't have a full Audi history, the older one does.

I've seen another 2011 with only 35k on the clock. Although a bit wary of this one. Its a 7 year old diesel that's only averaged 5,000 a year 馃槵

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

Throw in the reg there and it'll give you an insight on the MOT's it shows each mileage value at every MOT. Bear in mind the first 3 years do not need a MOT so take a look at the first MOT and see the value there.

Many people will do 60k, clock back to 20k before the first MOT and not touch it after that to keep it a clean history, Try and do as much research on the car before you buy it and always as i've always said if its too good to be true it most likely is. However many times in my life that phrase has been completely proved wrong and i've found some gems.

-Regards Matti

Thanks Matti

I've already checked the MOT and all adds up. No other history though. Its had 2 owners too. Its a London based car, so may well only be driven on occasion. I'm favoring the higher mileage one with full history. Timing belt done at 55k etc. Safer bet i think. Its still a below average mileage car.

I havent been lucky with cars in the past. Bought some bargains which dont stay bargains for long. Hence now looking for quality used cars and happy to pay a premium for a little peace of mind.

thats more than likely correct i have the 3ltr and when i brought my car no history of a belt change but full service in the book, garage or dealer where i brought the car from were not sure if my car had chain or belt ended up calling audi where the car was first registered and they confirmed it was a chain, i was so relieved lol聽聽

Which ever car you get you will love it. The C6 is a lovely car.

While I own a 2.7TDI it's only because I have wanted the V6 2.7 for several years now and don't regret buying it. The 3.0 version has about 40bhp more but seems to be slightly more problematic than the 2.7 but that may just be because more 3.0's have been sold, therefore more to report back on!?!聽

Comparing the the 2.7 to the 2.0 though is a funny one. The power output is very similar -170 -180bhp but the V6 is smother while you have to keep the 2.0 in the 'sweet spot' while accelerating.聽

The only re-occurring issue I am aware of is the turbo can go around 60-70k (experienced this in 2 out of 3 2.0 in the past). Then the common fault with all Dervs is the DPF regen issues. Pot luck on that one but in my mind gives a great excuse to blast the engine from time to time.

I choose a higher spec C6 a couple years older, the only real difference between them is the lights. Will it bug you that you can tell your car is a pre facelift? Then by the newer car. If you would prefer leather, sat nav heated seats etc etc then buy the older car.

mine now has 167k on it and is still pulling like a train 馃殏. No regrets at all.

Hope that helps a bit.

• Like 1