Radiator leak

Imrans

Welcome to the forum Imran, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

What exactly have the garage said? 

The three places where you'd expect a coolant leak is either from the radiator, pipework leading to or from the radiator or from a failed head gasket. 

What colour is the smoke coming out of the exhaust? 

Cheers

Steve

Hello Imram,

When you say the local garage couldn't find any leaks:-  Did they pressurise the cooling system and leave it pressurised and most importantly - confirmed that the pressure they applied did not drop off? If not, I would suggest you find another garage to check this. Did they check the operating pressure in the system when it is hot? 

Sorry, but more questions:- How much coolant are you adding on a daily basis, and are you checking it when cold, and to what mark are you filling it? 

Last question :- Is there any smoke evident when the engine is hot and revved to around 2000rpm and held at that rev. for a couple of minutes? 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi

thanks for replies. The garage had car for few days , pressure tested, added antifreeze neat, so if it leaked it would show . But there were no sign of leak. We had AGR valve problem they thought may be it’s throwing water out through exhaust?. 

So i just fill with water on daily basis with few litres?

Hello Imran,

I too am confused and indeed concerned for you. If you are saying you are you are putting in 5 litres a day (that's just over a gallon!) then you really should not be using this car- there must be somrthing seriously wrong with the cooling system. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Change your garage. If they cant find a leak then they most likely not looking hard enough . It may not leak when the car off as there is no pressure in the system ....does it smoke white? Black? Blue ?

• 5 years later...

Hi, I have a audi a3 1.8 tfsi petrol. Lately I have noticed that my coolant is on minimum. I have topped it up to just under maximum. I have travelled up north which was a 4 hour drive and drove back another 4 hours and my coolant was just above the minimum.  Am I just getting paranoid or am I losing a bit of coolant. My temp gauge is perfect on 90 and there is ko leaksnor anything. Can someone advise further please.

Hello Rizwan, 

Thanks for joining. 
Any undue exhaust smoke when held at a steady 2000rpm for two minutes after a 10 mile run?
Could you let us know.

If nothing untoward there, it might be worth investigating in a new reservoir cap, before getting further investigations carried out. 
Mileage as a matter of interest? 
Kind regards,

Gareth.