Extended Warranty

I just found out that Audi will not offer extended warranty (after the initial 3 years) to customers living in the Isle of Man (or Channel Islands). Also true of VW. Cannot find the reason. A4 bought new 3 years ago from Lake District Audi. Unsure whether to try Motoreasy or someone else. Or not bother. Feels like I was miss sold by the sales literature etc which mentions extended warranty options.

Welcome to the forum David :) 

The Isle of Man is a lovely part of the world :) 

am I right in thinking you've already paid for the extended warranty? 

Youll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

cheers

steve

• Like 1

Hello David,

Steve raises a good point about whether you have already paid for this, or were inticed to buy the car when new because of the option of being able to take this on after the 3 years.

I just wonder if you have personally taken this up with Audi Customer Services , or if this is information received via. an IOM dealer. Seems like some dilution of discrimination to me. Might be worth asking them to confirm in writing whether this applies to the Scottish islands as well! 

An interesting topic David, and one which would be interesting to hear about the follow up. 

Kind regards, 

Gareth.

Further to this topic: I am now completing the 3rd year of ownership and intended to take out one additional year of extended warranty. Audi UK sent me a reminder inviting me to do this on line. When I tried, the application stalled. Audi UK eventually said the warranties are nothing to do with them but are issued by another company. This is an insurance company who confirm they don't offer extended warranties to IOM or CI residents. No one can explain why, altho when I checked with the VW dealer here they confirmed it also applies to VW cars. No extended warranty for IOM or CI. The extended warranty insurance is operated by VW insurance since 2016. It seem to me to be mis-selling when I bought the new car as the Audi website did/does not mention the exclusions. Still, my question is: are any of the after-market extended warranty schemes any good, e.g. the Motor Easy one ? FYI Jacksons are opening a multi franchise operation in IOM this year including  an Audi Centre. Or should I not bother ? 18,000 miles on the car.

David Gregory

Hello David,

Many thanks for filling in the detail for us. This is understandable to point, but if Audi are subcontracting the extended warranties then, as I see it,  the buck stops at Audi rather than the subcontracted insurer, and any discontents should be laid at Audi's door. Depends on whether you want to do battle with them to give them money to insure your possible mechanical failures. I don't think I would David. 

Would I personally take out an alternative one year cover on an 18k three year old car? No, I wouldn't.

My alternative would be to put my trust in a local garage who come with a good reputation. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.