Wipers

Bigdave1230

Earlier last week the drivers side wiper stopped working. Traced it down to the wiper linkage becoming disattached. Popped it back together but after a few wipes it came back off again. It’s a ball and cup socket just under the plastic flap on the drivers side under the bonnet. Spoke to Audi who don’t sell the plastic cup socket or the arm separately wanted £354+vat for an entire linkage 😳. Found on amazon some spring repair clips for £5.99 that that didn’t list that they fitted an Audi but thought I could fudge them to do the job. Turns out they fitted without any modification but did need persuading with a pair of grips and work perfectly again. Hope this helps if anybody has a this problem as the Audi guy says it’s common that’s why they keep the linkage in stock.

Forgot to mention I messaged every place breaking a Q7 on eBay etc with no luck but as a temp fix you can wrap a layer of pvc insulation tape around the metal ball of the wiper arm and squeeze back together. Works for a day or two

• 6 months later...

I just brought a 56 Q7 and got a bit more knocked off for this reason. I wondered whether a tie wrap would do or take off the arm and drill straight through the spigot and fit a bolt and washer! It seemed to me that the original was a tad heath Robinson and should have been smeared with petroleum jelly at regular intervals!

Cable ties just snap as the linkage moves too much and the ball part of the linkage is Hardened and very difficult to drill on the car. I looked at this as I was very reluctant to buy the full linkage. I will find the part on amazon now and list. Mine hasn’t missed a beat since putting it on. Works like brand new. I can’t post a pic on this due to an upload limit but you should be able to fathom it quite easily.

On amazon type - windscreen wiper repair clip and when the results page pops up it’s the third one down by a company called X8R. It’s £7.99 now. There are others available but that’s the one I bought and worked. Made from stainless so very durable. Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...

Hi Chaps,

I've recently bought some of these clips but find them very difficult to fit,do you need to remove or thin down the circular bushing(as it totals some 15 mm in thickness)

I'm trying to do the job with the linkage attached to the vehicle (fitting clip on near side linkage) i've attached a couple of pics here;

Your help/suggestions greatly appreciated.     Thanks, Charlie.

Q7 LINKAGE 003.jpg

Q7 LINKAGE 004.jpg