A4 1.9 tdi sport 2003

Beast

Hi I've just purchased a 2003 a4 1.9 tdi sport.it has covered 82k miles. No booklet and not much history. It does have previous MOT certificates.i am wanting  to get advice on the clutch as it seems to only release high up on the pedal. Is this normal? I've been told the belt/chain has been replaced(correct me) DSC_1276.thumb.JPG.406c0afb80e094888f95524234582315.JPG. But that was just by mouth.i have two wheels to refurb and two wings to be repaired and painted. Not really much rust just bubbling on the lacquer and paint . Seems a pretty solid car and the interior needs nothing. Everything works as it should. Is it worth carrying out the work as I tend to keep the car for quite some time. Thanks in advance. 

DSC_1275.JPG

Welcome to the forum Craig, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

You can recover early history for your a4 from Audi as they should have ball the servicing info and work carried out whilst under warranty. 

It sounds like the clutch could be on it's way out, what miles is the car on? 

Oh and if you're unsure on when the car was last serviced then it might be worth you getting a major service carried out. The 1.9tdi engine is a pretty tough engine and it has a cambelt. 

Where is the bubbling on the paint? 

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve I will call or pop in to audi for history this weekend. Car is on 82 thousand. It goes through all gears fine and clutch works just seems quite high up.i read that putting foot to the floor whilst in low end of 5th gear should give me some indication as it would slip at that point? Paint on wheel arches I'm getting quotes for. Thanks

Nice one :)

Rust on front wings is a common fault on vag cars from this era including a3, a4, a6, golf, Bora to name a few. It's due to foam inserts attached to the inside of the arch between the metal and arch liner. However the foam retains the moisture and thus causes the rust. 

The only proper cure is to have the wings replaced which will cost you around £1000 all in. I paid this approx on my a6. Obviously you could botch it with filler but this is only a short term answer. 

Cheers

Steve

• 1 year later...

I bought an 04 1.9tdi sport 123k miles 2 weeks ago with the same high biting point on the clutch and in 600 miles I lost all ability to get it into any gear (clutch not disengaging when pressing the pedal). There was a very slight vibration in the clutch pedal during the time I drove it. I was aware that this was an issue at the time of buying and I had absolutely no problems driving it until it completely failed leaving work one day. So it failed very suddenly. I expected to get a bit more mileage out of it before it went but that's the way it goes sometimes.

So I'd keep an eye out for vibrations in the pedal or a slight stiffness putting it into gear when first starting up the car as you may have to replace it like I'm having to.

To check for slipping, you can put it into 1st gear with your foot hard on the brake and slowly bring up the clutch pedal, it should stall fairly quickly if it isn't slipping.

• 3 years later...

Hi everyone I'm owned for 2 years my b6 1.9 tdi avf now I'm loking to do som upgrades!

My goal it's 250-270 bhp 

My question it's what turbo I can use to reach that power and keep turbo safe!

I here that people using s4 or rs4 intercooler how you think what's best option?

Pd150 injectors I got from golf ARL engine not fited yet but before fitting want to know can I reach tat 250-270bhp with this injectors 

What's the best oil coler for that power! It's there any p&play one!

Everything else I need to know?

I find head bolts I need for upgrade!

Fast road camshaft kit!

Clutch stage3!

2.5 Inch straight exhaust pipe with decat!

All this it's understandable!

How about cam belt?

It's any modified one for that kind of power or close to that?