Audi A3 TDi oil leak

omracing

My Audi A3 TDi went in for its MOT and they noticed there was an oil leak that could only be seen looking from the bottom upwards. On further investigation it appears to be coming from the timing belt area. So is it likely to be the camshaft or crankshaft seals ? I understand its easier to work on when the timing belt is removed. Would you normally do the job with a new timing belt and water pump at the same time ? 

Now my car is not old its only 2014 and covered a mere 30k miles. Surely this is not a common issue with a low mileage car ?

Welcome to the forum Scott, you'll find the members on here are friendly and helpful bunch 🙂

i would say Everytime the timing belt/waterpump is removed then I'd advise renewing them. As the water pump can leak afterwards. 

cheers

Steve

Hello Scott,

Common to have an oil leak from timing belt area on a low mileage 4 year old car? Not in my book. Crankshaft or camshaft seal problem? Impossible to tell which until the covers are removed and the area inspected. 

As I see it, the cambelt is likely to need changing in around a year? - on a time interval, so the problem can be addressed then. 

Severity of oil leak?? Oil leak assessment is now a requirement of MOT, and I guess there is going to be a fair bit of backside covering with testers in respect of listing such things. 

What confuses here is that as far as I am aware, testers are not allowed to remove parts for assssment, so you would assume (in caps?) that any oil leak which is visible with the undertray in place must be pretty severe, so I would be tempted to seek further independent opinion on this before doing anything.

I it were mine, I would be asking a trusted local garage or Audi independent to give this a second opinion and judge the situation from there.

Good luck with this.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys

What happened here? Any news?

i’ve just bought an A3 sportback (13 plate) with 40k miles on the clock.... got it home from auction and it drove beautifully all the way.... feels like a new car... but having gone to the pub for a celebratory pint, I’ve returned to a puddle of engine oil under the O/S front part of the engine... :-(

Distressed... Any ideas?

Regards

Neil