Newbie, trying to buy an A3

asifa3

Hi All,

New to the forum, first post so go easy on me lol

In the process of trying to buy an A3, budget of around 5 -5.5k for a 140 or 170 bhp diesel, prefer 3 door but would entertain a 5 door sportback also.

Really hard to find a decent one that isn't a million miles away.

Quick question, for a 07-09 plate would you consider 100k high mileage on these diesels? Also is there a section I could read on here on what i should look out for and what i should avoid like the plague when going to see an A3?

Thanks in advance, really appreciate any help provided.

Welcome to the forum Asif, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch 🙂

the video Paul has shown you.is very useful, but also check out the a3 8p section on here as well as the cars for sale section. 

my word of advice would be to check to see if the a3 you are looking at has had the emissions recall carried out. If it's had it carried out recently then I'd be asking questions as to why it's for sale. There's been a lot of documented issues surrounding the emissions recall. I can also say this from first hand experience after working in a volkswagen service department. If it were me I'd be avoiding cars that have had it done to be honest.

cheers

Steve

23 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Welcome to the forum Asif, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch 🙂

the video Paul has shown you.is very useful, but also check out the a3 8p section on here as well as the cars for sale section. 

my word of advice would be to check to see if the a3 you are looking at has had the emissions recall carried out. If it's had it carried out recently then I'd be asking questions as to why it's for sale. There's been a lot of documented issues surrounding the emissions recall. I can also say this from first hand experience after working in a volkswagen service department. If it were me I'd be avoiding cars that have had it done to be honest.

cheers

Steve

Glad you told me about that, I didn't know the 07 to 09 cars were affected, I thought it was only the newer models. I'll keep an eye out on this.

6 hours ago, asifa3 said:

Glad you told me about that, I didn't know the 07 to 09 cars were affected, I thought it was only the newer models. I'll keep an eye out on this.

VAG cars started to be fitted with cheat devices as early as 2006 after the PD engine was superceeded. But your right in saying it's mainly newer models affected with the 1.6tdi and 2.0tdi engines. 

Cheers

Steve