Rodent damage to S4

Jane Lovell

I have a 2017 S4 with and have discovered that rodents have chewed through the engine cover temperature sensor, the turbo recirculation wiring and the turbo activator vacuum hose. My Audi dealership quoted £1000 repair bill, plus suggested they fit a battery operated rodent scarer in the engine bay for an additional £350. 

Has anyone else had rodent damage to their vehicle? Do the battery rodent scarer devices work.

I’m waiting to see if my insurance company will pay up.

Wow, I'm sorry you've had this Graeme. I can't say I've heard of a rodent scarer for a car either but I suspect you can get it cheaper than the price you've been quoted. 

Cheers

Steve

17 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

Wow, I'm sorry you've had this Graeme. I can't say I've heard of a rodent scarer for a car either but I suspect you can get it cheaper than the price you've been quoted. 

Cheers

Steve

was my thought too Steve so i looked on eBay and there £25 so for £350 do the Audi ones shoot lasers or something lol 

• Like 1

Hello Greame,

Sorry to hear of your problem, and I too share Steve and Paul's views on alternative scarers. 

Re. the possibility of claiming off your insurers:- If you haven't yet approached them, then personally I wouldn't. Just don't do it. If you have - it's probably too late to do a U turn since your potential claim will have been listed, and your premium may be adversely affected whether you choose to make a claim or not. Appreciating many (including myself) have NCB protected policies, but the reality is that it does just that - it protects the % NCB but does not protect the future premium from significant increase. Example - 50% NCB percentage is protected following a claim, but they could (and often do) double the future premium, and premiums can be inflated for up to 5 years. Just don't go there! It will seriously cost you in the short and longer term. 

Audi and £1000 quotation:- I would not go down that road, but entrust this to a trusted local auto electrician who should be able to sort this out for a fraction of that cost. The non electrical hose bit - friendly local garage can renew this. 

Back to scarers for our long-tailed friends - worth visiting an agricultural equipment dealer. I'm sure  they will be knowledgeable in recommending such things to protect the framer's tractor investment of >£70K from such attack .

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Gareth, Steve, Paul...appreciate your replies. As the car is less than a year old (and leased), I thought the Audi service guys were the go to people.  I thought it was interesting they’d never come across the rodent problem before? The electronic rodent deterrent is a battery run unit, not connected to the car’s electrical system, Audi recommended their model....£205 + vat + installation, hence the £350 quote. I don’t think the insurers will cover the claim anyway, but hear what you say about future premiums. Thanks