Sign in to follow this  
DaveW1946

Manufacture Fault - defective timing chain / tensioner

Lawyers in Australia and the USA are examining claims against Audi that several of their cars have been fitted with defective timing chains and tensioners, resulting in early engine failure and unsafe vehicles. Is anything being pursued in the UK about this issue?

Vehicles affected are: 2008 - 2012 A3, A4, A5, Q3, Q5, TT

My granddaughter’s A3 timing chain slipped and wrecked the engine at 88,000 miles.

On 9/8/2018 at 4:15 PM, DaveW1946 said:

Lawyers in Australia and the USA are examining claims against Audi that several of their cars have been fitted with defective timing chains and tensioners, resulting in early engine failure and unsafe vehicles. Is anything being pursued in the UK about this issue?

Vehicles affected are: 2008 - 2012 A3, A4, A5, Q3, Q5, TT

My granddaughter’s A3 timing chain slipped and wrecked the engine at 88,000 miles.

It'll be interesting to see how this lawsuit goes David. 

It sure will Steve, but I don’t think we should “hold our breath” unfortunately. My granddaughter’s affected car is an Audi A3 Sport 197 TFSi 2008 1984cc, it’s vin identifies the engine brand, size and type as ZZZ8P and I believe it to be within the scope of the lawsuit. It’s a real shame for her as she loves the car and hasn’t the kind of funds available to fix it.

I’ve just had this happen with my 2010 Audi Q5... 94k... did you have any luck?! I haven’t had it in to Audi yet but guessing it’s the same common issue. Will see what they say re lawsuits. They were very good with my A5 - a whole engine rebuild as “ goodwill” for the faulty piston rings issue.