Second key costs

den9112

Hi, i am going to view a 09 2.0tdi sport cabriolet in the morning ,the dealer was not sure at my time of calling if two keys were available on the car,anyway i dont want a non spare key to be a deal breaker so was wondering what my costs are likely to be if i tried to get another one ...any help or adice woukld be apreciated ..Thanks

The driver information centre in the dash can tell you how many keys have been and are currently registered to the car. With only one key, I'd be concerned as the the location of any other ones, and potential security issues if they fell into the wrong hands. I'm not sure of cost of a new one though.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Dennis,

At least you now know the on-cost to you.

Re. where is the other key? It is not uncommon for the second key to go astray with secondhand vehicles - particularly where it might previously have been a company car which was simply handed back at the end of the lease,and the leasing company were not too bothered about chasing it. 

How many owners has this car had?

Before committing or collecting the car, it would be worth making contact with the last keeper ( while the dealer still has that information on the current V5). Always worth doing, and the source of valuable information. They might just have the spare key in a draw! 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

It’s born of cost of part, cost of plugging it in to the computer system, and the likelihood of charging the one hour’s minimum labour at c£100/hour + VAT, Cliff. 

Great isn’t it? 

In my days (and dare I suggest yours?), life was so simple and dependable, and you just stuck a key in a lock and turned it unlock/lock the door. Once inside you turned a little handle and the window went up and down. 

Why is everything so complicated by so called automation. Have we become too lazy to carryout these tasks ourselves? The motor manufacturers seem to think so, and they must be right, since owners now go into raptures about owning a car with ‘T line spec. and Pink Edition’! Well you know what I mean. 

Come back Morris 1000 simplicity, dependability, and ‘fixability’.

The opinion of an aging mind Cliff. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

So true Gareth, so true. When people ask the forum about electronic fault codes they mean nothing to me, but I get the impression from subsequent discussions they mean equally little to Audi mechanics (or are they called technicians nowadays,) and can not be relied on for diagnosis.

To avoid any accusations of being another old fogey bemoaning the end of "the good old days" I also remember having to de-coke engines after 30000 miles and re-bore after 60000. Then there was changing a clutch single handed at the roadside, and replacing a core plug also at the roadside that blew out crossing the Alps. I wouldn't dream of attempting those jobs now but the knowledge gained is still invaluable.

• Like 1