Audi a3 issues

Stacey

audi a3 sline 2011, I had a problem with my clutch slipping so I took it to a garage where they changed my clutch and also the flywheel, since having clutch changed it didn't feel the same then couple days later was finding it hard to get car into gear mainly reverse and first, and clutch pedal is was not coming back up fully took it back to garage where they said master slave had to be changed so it has been this was done on Friday picked up from garage was fine, haven't drove it since went to drive it tonight and pedal will not come back up and yet again gears are hard to get in. Any advice on what to do next?

Hello Stacy,

Sorry to hear of your problems, but could you clarify what was changed on Friday. You have a clutch master cylinder, and a clutch slave cylinder - there is no such thing as a ‘master slave’. 

If the initial clutch work was done comprehensively, then the parts used should have been flywheel (in your case); clutch driven plate, clutch pressure plate and clutch release bearing/ slave cylinder. All mentioned parts except the flywheel are known as a ‘3 part clutch assembly. 

Your symptoms sound suspiciously like issues with the slave cylinder ( which includes the release bearing) and is located within the bellhousing of the gearbox. If it is this, then it’s a gearbox out again job. 

Questions:- Did they renew this part? (I guess they must have) or certainly should have. What make parts did they use? Some aftermarket parts can unfortunately be of poor quality, and new doesn’t always = serviceable, even for a short space of time. 

Out going funds? It would seem that whatever they did last was not the cause, and if it were me I would be reluctant to pay for that job, and certainly any other rectification work necessary to get this clutch operating as would be reasonable to expect. 

Perhaps you could come back to us. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Stacey.

I second what Gareth has told you. The most likely fault is either the slave cylinder or the master cylinder, depending on which one has not been changed. If that proves to be the case, then I question whether the clutch needed to be changed in the first place. A competent mechanic should be able to tell the difference between spongy hydraulics and a worn out clutch.

If the clutch was old and near the end of its life then it was probably worthwhile as they don't last for ever, but I would object to paying out money for repairs before they become necessary because of a poor diagnosis. The trouble is that the life of a clutch is unpredictable because it depends very much on how it is used. A boy racer driving style, or riding the pedal at traffic lights, can ruin a clutch in 20000 miles; a sedate careful driver can get 5 times that distance.

Do let us know the outcome.