B7 1.8T Wheel Upgrade

eskerman

I recently bought a 2005 B7 1.8t - one owner from new with 140k miles and good service history - car drives fine and overall I am quite pleased with it 

Its going to need a set of tyres shortly and I am considering upgrading from 16" to 17" and I am told I need to add spigots to accommodate the 17" Audi rim

Not to fond of adding in spigots to fit larger wheels - just wondering if anybody can advise - I am quite happy to stay with the 16" if push comes to shove 

Thanks in advance 

Paul 

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 14.15.49.png

Hello Paul,

Simply changing wheel diameters is not straightforward - spigots or no spigots. It is usually overlooked that the outside diameter of the new larger wheel and tyre, must remain the same as the original standard wheel. This can be achieved by fitting tyres with a lower profile ( assuming the larger wheel is not wider). It needs thought if gearing and speedo readings are to remain accurate - more to it than simply fancying larger diameter wheels. 

Of course, this is before you find it necessary to inform your insurers that you have non standard wheels fitted, so they don’t invalidate your insurance in the event of a claim. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. Nice to see you back Steve.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Hello Paul,

Simply changing wheel diameters is not straightforward - spigots or no spigots. It is usually overlooked that the outside diameter of the new larger wheel and tyre, must remain the same as the original standard wheel. This can be achieved by fitting tyres with a lower profile ( assuming the larger wheel is not wider). It needs thought if gearing and speedo readings are to remain accurate - more to it than simply fancying larger diameter wheels. 

Of course, this is before you find it necessary to inform your insurers that you have non standard wheels fitted, so they don’t invalidate your insurance in the event of a claim. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. Nice to see you back Steve.

Thanks Gareth, it's great to be back 🙂

Thanks for the contributions and advice 

The only reason I considered fitting a set of 17" was because I need to fit a set of new tyres shortly and I was offered a set of Audi 17" alloys with tyres at the right money - I am aware of the importance of maintaining correct tyre choice and I noted other A4s run on 17s

I am not fond of fitting spigots to the wheels and I will probably stay on the 16s and get a set of tyres - with regards to insurance, I guess you could call a wheel upgrade a "modification" and I am dammed if I am paying them any more money on my policy - Insurance companies are like banks and I don't think many of us like the bank !

Paul