A1 replacement engine

alandrill

I'm looking to buy a particular 2012 A1 TFS 1.4 185 model. Car had developed an engine oil light end of 2019, engine then replaced under warranty March 2020, new engine number  CAVG 19453.

I suspect the car (55,000 miles approx) might have missed a midlife service or at least the dealer (Evans Halshaw) might have just ticked the service book as having had all oil changes done Sep 2019? Excuse my cynicism. I'm sure the right thing to do is walk away from the car but other than this it has all the options and right colour etc.

What are your thoughts on this? Would be my first Audi and would appreciate any input. The engine cost was £2536. Will this be a new engine or reconditioned at that price, seemed cheap to me.

Thanks, Alan

Hello Alan,

Thanks for the post.

Could you let the forum know if this car is being sold by a dealer ( not a main dealer, I guess), or is being sold privately. If it being sold privately, then you are obviously able to talk with the owner. If from a dealer, then I would be wanting to speak with the previously registered owner. 

It may be prudent to ask yourself why this car is being sold straight after having a new engine fitted. 

Kind regards, 

Gareth.

Gareth, it’s a private sale. Nice guy selling it, very open. It was in dealership for 6 weeks having engine replaced. No doubt time required for warranty involvement, source engine, fit engine. I guess if it was my car I would be rightly sick of the hassle and want shot of it.

More reason to walk away?

Welcome to the forum Alan, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch 🙂 

Is that price paid for the engine what he paid? I say that as I suspect Audi may have done good will  and paid X amount towards the new engine and fitting, ie 25% or 50% as an example. Audi would not fit a reconditioned  engine under warranty, it would be new. However a non main dealers would probably happily for a reconditioned engine. The invoice will tell you if it was main dealers etc. 

Exactly, why is it being sold after having a new engine. I'd be very suspicious abd if it were me I'd be looking at buying from a dealer instead. 

Cheers

Steve

Hello Alan,

’......more reason to walk away?’. Might be worth considering that if he is fed up with it after paying out a large sum of money on it, why would he think it would be fine and interesting to a new owner? 

It would be interesting to know how long he has owned it, and to know if the buying price makes it an overly attractive proposition. 

If everything stacks up and you are still attracted to it, then I would be investing in a professional inspection of the car, since it will not come with any guarantee - apart from having to comply with the advertised condition. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

The seller bought the car in Sept 2019 with extended warranty from non-Audi dealership.

Oil warning fault occurred within a couple of months.

The total repair bill for the engine was £4500 including fitting and was paid for by Autoprotect , not the seller. 

Its an S line , 185bhp, £7500 ish.

My concerns are that the car may have skipped a service around 40,000 which might mean gearbox/DSG oil issues?

If it was a new engine then maybe worth a punt as the warranty is transferable?

The question is it worth the risk? I know if my car had had that extensive work I wouldn't be selling it straight away as I'd want my use out of it. 

The first sign the dsg box has missed a service is that the gear changes won't be smooth abd it may not engage all gears such as reverse. 

If you were to go ahead I'd make a gearbox oil change a first priority. 

As Gareth has said you need an independent inspection from the RAC/AA or similar. If the seller refuses you to have this done then definitely walk away. As clearly he or the car has something to hide. 

Cheers

Steve

Hello Alan, 

Is the price of £7,500 a typo for this 8 year old A1? 

I would be putting the registration number into We Buy Any Car and see what comes up in these Covid19 troubled times. Appreciating their figure will be a trading valuation, but this will better dictate its ‘value’ when disposed of.

Personally, I’d be looking elsewhere if I had that money in my pocket, and not be too concerned about a missing service and again ask myself truly why this owner is parting with it. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.