A3 oil leak

James L

Hello I have a 2016 A3 with 30000 miles on FSH and in excellent condition 

recently I noticed some oil on the drive where we park it and it appears to be dripping from the drivers side within 40 cm of the front wheel 

the car rarely is used - 500 miles a month average and the dealers warranty from purchasing in Oct 18 has expired 

unfortunately the dealer is closed and so is my local garage at the moment ref Covid 

anyone on here got any clues or advice please 

thanks 

Hello James,

As you realise, you need this checked as quickly as possible, so you will need to to find someone/ anyone who is open in reasonable distance. 500 miles a month may be considered ‘rarely used’ but not really in my book. 

You location-of-leak is unlikely to be meaningful since the underbody shield will mask the leak site, and make it appear to be located where the oil is able to egress from the shield. 

Hope some of this helps. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

p.s. Has the car been serviced in recent times, and the oil filter changed? Just a thought that it may be associated with an ill fitting filter - and that would dictate a need for even more urgency. 

Hello Gareth 

thank you for your info I have noted the under shield & have concerns about the filter as it was serviced less than 2000 miles ago ( at Audi) 

hopefully I can locate a good repair near me as Audi is 40 miles away 

thanks again 

James 

Hello James,

Sounds like a reasonable guess then. 

I would be tempted to book this in ASAP to any garage which is open, and it’s certainly worth checking the oil meanwhile. If the filter is found to be at fault and needs replacing, I would suggest you stipulate it is replaced only with a Mann or Bosch one - unlikely they will be able to obtain a genuine VAG one. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.