Heater problem

TJP

Hi, new member - so excuse me if this subject has been mentioned before, but here goes....
I have a A3 2.0 TDI (2013)
All of a sudden I have no hot air coming out of the blowers..
Everything works i.e. air direction, fan speed etc
You can hear the change when you switch from cold to hot? but only getting cold air...

Any help would be appreciated

cheers for getting back to me... is there anyway of checking that without replacing it? i.e. would a ODB pick that up?

Jammed - open Kev? 

If so, then the coolant temperature would be reading below normal after say a 3 mile run. 

We now need to ask Terry - Does the coolant temperature gauge rise to normal and maintain that reading? If so, forget about a thermostat issue, if it doesn’t then indeed it could be suspect - but we need to know before passing judgement. 

Perhaps you could come back to us in that. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

mine on my other audi  was jammed shut     so wasnt circulating    and thers another one waterpump fans snap 

Apologies Terry.

That latest question was addressed to Kev. 

I would suggest forgetting about your issue being due to a faulty thermostat.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

If everything mechanical is working in the engine bay as it should then that would suggest the heat controls have potentially failed. It could be a heater blower motor or heater blower resistor. 

Also looking at similar threads about this topic on the forum suggest it could be a blocked heater matrix. 

Hope I've helped. 

Cheers

Steve

Steve...all the motors are working (had thet glovebox out)...and the matrix isnt blocked.....

Kev...the rad does get warm...

Looks like i'll be going to audi

I thought about just changing the thermostat,  but after listening to people on this thread and offers it probably isnt that..

so i'm none the wiser lol

Hello Terry, 

We take it the radiator gets hot since as you say, the coolant temperature reaches normal and maintains a normal temperature reading. 

I agree that’s it’s unlikely a code reader will give you any meaningful information in this case, and I am with Steve on this and my guess at it would be to suspect the actual heater control unit - ignoring the fan resistor, since I believe you said you can select various fan speeds.

Blocked Hester core? Possibly, but unlikely in my book, since your description points to suggesting there was a sudden rather than a gradual deterioration in the amount of heat from the system. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hello Terry,

Just picked up your latest post.

If this were mine, I would be investing in an hour’s time of an auto electrician.

Trusted Audi independent.

Audi dealer.

In that order of preference. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

cheers Gareth, process of elimination at the moment lol

but heater control unit is a good call

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies Terry, but I missed your latest post.

Sorry this hasn’t fixed the issue. There has been suggestions of blocked heater cores, but personally I haven’t come across this with modern antifreeze solutions and concentration, but.......? 

I guess you could conduct a flow test if (in caps) you can get at the small diameter inlet and outlet hoses. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I think I'm just going to give up and let my mechanic have a go.

Was just trying to get it fixed during lockdown.

Cheers Gareth

• 6 months later...

Hello Josh, 

Thanks for being in touch, and it’s certainly worth asking Terry what eventually happened, since posts frequently remain open ended. 

If I were you, I think I would be sending a PM to Terry, since he hasn’t visited the forum since the end of May. 

Perhaps you could let us know the outcome. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• 2 months later...

Hi I’m having the exact same issue, my car is running mechanically sound but no heating at all sometimes it will put a little heat through when first start but then goes straight back to being cold? 

Have exactly the same issue, 2017 S3.

Local (trusted) garage flushed the heater system through. Only obvious thing on VCDS(?) was that the internal thermostat in the passenger side for the clima control was reading 10c higher then the drivers side does.

Get moderate heat when fans are low speed (1 or 2) but this disappears when I turn the fans up. 

Radiator gets hot, inlet/outlet for matrix is fine. 

possibly narrowing this down to the control unit in the dash itself. What's involved in replacing this? Any coding etc? 

Best

• 9 months later...

hi 

can anyone tell me please why when i put the heater on it dont come on but if i leave

it on after a while it comes on it blows out heat out. if you turn it off and put it back on

its no problem it comes on no matter how mant times you turn it off and on. but when

the car is cold it dont come on. when you turn it on you can hear noises its making but it dont

come on.

thanks