Wolf in Sheeps Clothing!

iheltd@aol.com

Hi Guys,

A bit of advice please........ 

Long story shortish, I bought my A6 2.8 Quattro,  from a Brit who lived in Darmstad, Deutchland in 2005, as I wanted a Left Hooker to take out to Greece where I keep my boat, to use as a general runaround for when I was in port.

When I got it, I found that it wiped the floor with my current car, at that time which was a Beemer 525 (which was no slouch) I kept it on German Export plates until it was seized from a mate who had borrowed it for half an hour, by the Greek police. So, I had to fly out and rescue it (By paying a 1500 Euro bribe) had 24 hrs to get the hell out of Greece with it, and brought it home, and registered it here. As soon as it was re-registered, I took her back to Greece, Driving through Germany on the de-restricted Autobahn at speeds of 160mph was a literal blast. 

So, after using it for the next 12 years (And boy, did we enjoy driving it around the Pelloponese Mountain roads, which are in fantastic order, and put ours to shame)  I finally brought her home after sliding into a, rain off area, on a mountain, and bending the track rods. - I bent them back into shape and drove home, and now have new ones fitted.

That's when it got interesting! To register it with DVLA, I had to have paperwork from Audi who sent me the enclosed letter, explaining that German cars had a much more powerful engine (266 bhp) than those designated for us plucky brits (204bhp. I got that from Audi M.Keynes)

I'm sure you wise ones know this, but after the initial surprise, I realised that it explained all of that extra power.............

So, to the present dilemma. After storing it for 3 years under cover, it wouldn't start and I eventually found that the petrol pump in the tank was the culprit, and, having given it to my friendly mechanic to sort out early last year

When I went back to get the car, the Catalytic Converter had been stolen. and the estimate for getting her back on the road was in excess of £3000 if I left it with them!

So. Should I break the car (And my Heart, as I really love her)

Sell her as a project, If so how much

Bite the bullet, and do her up. (She has NO rust at all and is a special colour (Metallic Creamy white) and has every extra known at that time

Advice please would be welcomed. Pix below.

IMG_3232.JPG

IMG_3246.JPG

IMG_3252.JPG

She'll definitely be a future classic. I'd do her up as you've got so much history with it. But again I'm biased as that's what I've done with my c5 as my dad bought it new. I'm sure you could find a performance cat cheaper from companies like demon tweeks.  

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for your reply Steve, The trouble is that I have the following collection of random cars and I'm not sure that I can find a useful, and usable place for this one....except, it might just be a classic one day and I have lots of space( I live on a Farm) & sweet bugger all to do in the coming winter.

Jaguar XF 3 Litre V6 Estate:  Used every day, and it has everything you need in a car

VW Camper: Only 2 years old which is as long as it has taken us to build, and still haven't used for camping, because of the wretched lockdown.

Maserati 4200 Spyder: Up on axle stands and covered up, as I'm sure this will be a classic soon (Belongs to the wife too)

Toyota MR2 Mk2: Was my Son's, and was planning to bring this up to scratch next, as like the Maser, I think these will be a classic

Vauxhall Zafira: We call this the junk car, as it is mainly used for ferrying  stuff around 

So, The Jag outperforms the Audi in every way (well it would as it's 20 years newer),  and the only reason to keep it really, is it's possible value in years to come. Will the Purists rate this model like the early Quattro's? Can I justify spending £3000 on it? As I could probably find a tidy one for that anyway. I did however see one on Cars and Classics for sale at £9000 recently, but it was probably Concours condition

1) It Needs: Petrol tank & Pump. (The old one has rusted inside as I didn't seal the tank back after taking the pump out) and apparently, the fitting requires the whole rear drive unit to be removed as the tank straddles the propshaft

2) The whole braking system needs doing.

3) New Cat required, though I have found some cheap aftermarket ones, for around £120. Maybe get a complete new exhaust

4) New Radiator (The old one has had it)

5) Aircon repair

Other than that she would be good plus I get a bit sentimental about cars that have been trouble free and given rally good service and shared adventures.

Hello George, 

Interesting vehicle, and not an easy decision. 

My slant on it is a consideration of some of the following:-

Do you have a sufficient nostalgic attachment to it that warrants you keeping it - come what may? 

Do you need the longer term return from the car’s ‘investment potential’ ? 

Do you really believe you have the time, dedication and fund allocation to fairly quickly bring this car back to its full potential? 

If you do, do you (in caps) feel it’s a worthwhile project on which to spend your time and funds, and then find the time to use it? 

If you received a ‘good offer’ for it in its current condition, would you sell it? If so, I think that answers most of the above questions. 

I think from what you tell us, you are sufficiently experienced to make a decision on all of this, and to appreciate that simply retaining the vehicle equals further deterioration - that deterioration often out stripping any investment potential. 

Not sure how much of the above concentrates the mind George. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks for the succinct reply Gareth. What do you think I should ask for it in it's present condition, and would it be worth considering breaking it? As I do have the space here (Though the other half will moan if there is mess anywhere)

Regards

George  

Hello George,

If it were mine, I certainly wouldn’t be breaking the car - just too much effort and space taking for the potential reward, leave alone the fact it would be a shame to lose the car as a complete unit.

Worth? Really don’t know, and it might be worth considering that finding a good and enthusiastic home for it may be more important than the actual money raised, unless money is tight. As I see it George, the car is likely to owe you 3/4 of very little. It has been a good and reliable friend, and whatever you reap for it may be rather like selling the dog! 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

On 7/17/2020 at 10:26 AM, iheltd@aol.com said:

Thanks for your reply Steve, The trouble is that I have the following collection of random cars and I'm not sure that I can find a useful, and usable place for this one....except, it might just be a classic one day and I have lots of space( I live on a Farm) & sweet bugger all to do in the coming winter.

Jaguar XF 3 Litre V6 Estate:  Used every day, and it has everything you need in a car

VW Camper: Only 2 years old which is as long as it has taken us to build, and still haven't used for camping, because of the wretched lockdown.

Maserati 4200 Spyder: Up on axle stands and covered up, as I'm sure this will be a classic soon (Belongs to the wife too)

Toyota MR2 Mk2: Was my Son's, and was planning to bring this up to scratch next, as like the Maser, I think these will be a classic

Vauxhall Zafira: We call this the junk car, as it is mainly used for ferrying  stuff around 

So, The Jag outperforms the Audi in every way (well it would as it's 20 years newer),  and the only reason to keep it really, is it's possible value in years to come. Will the Purists rate this model like the early Quattro's? Can I justify spending £3000 on it? As I could probably find a tidy one for that anyway. I did however see one on Cars and Classics for sale at £9000 recently, but it was probably Concours condition

1) It Needs: Petrol tank & Pump. (The old one has rusted inside as I didn't seal the tank back after taking the pump out) and apparently, the fitting requires the whole rear drive unit to be removed as the tank straddles the propshaft

2) The whole braking system needs doing.

3) New Cat required, though I have found some cheap aftermarket ones, for around £120. Maybe get a complete new exhaust

4) New Radiator (The old one has had it)

5) Aircon repair

Other than that she would be good plus I get a bit sentimental about cars that have been trouble free and given rally good service and shared adventures.

Lovely collection of cars 👌 think I too would have a car collection if I lived on a farm.