2004 8P Rear splash shields

Teledeluxe

Thanks for your reply Steve. I’ve had a go at it and the bearing comes off easily once the hub bolt is removed. My hub’s ABS wheel has vanished so I need a new bearing. 

I saw various magnetic ABS senders on eBay, but doubt they would fit bearings by all manufacturers. Best to get a new bearing as you say.

Alan

Hello Alan,

As I understand it - and I could be wrong - but the ‘sender’ is part of the hub, and not the bearing. 
Irrespective, I simply had the whole hub replaced, since it was a much quicker job than replacing the bearing in an old hub.

I used a Febi hub and bearing assembly - bought at a competitive price off eBay
Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. Have a look at the disc splash/backing plate at the same time. These rust fairly quickly, so worth changing it at the same time if it’s showing signs of deterioration. 

6 hours ago, Teledeluxe said:

Thanks for your reply Steve. I’ve had a go at it and the bearing comes off easily once the hub bolt is removed. My hub’s ABS wheel has vanished so I need a new bearing. 

I saw various magnetic ABS senders on ebay, but doubt they would fit bearings by all manufacturers. Best to get a new bearing as you say.

Alan

Hi there must be a multitude of manufacturers for this size bearing therefore if you measure the o/d of your bearing and then match it up with the sensor rings available.

Steve.

I’d had replacement splash plates for ages, but had put off installing them as I thought removing the wheel bearing might be difficult. Failure of an ABS ring and impending mot test was the excuse I needed to do the job. Febi bearing on order. 🙂 Thanks guys

Sorry Alun - don’t understand.
I meant that you buying a Febi bearing to fit into your old hub, rather than buying the complete Febi hub-and-bearing assembly, which would be much easier and better solution than pressing/hammering bearings in and out.

11 hours ago, Magnet said:

Sorry Alun - don’t understand.
I meant that you buying a Febi bearing to fit into your old hub, rather than buying the complete Febi hub-and-bearing assembly, which would be much easier and better solution than pressing/hammering bearings in and out.

No you are right, you are not getting the fact that the bearing and sensor ring are a bolt in unit there is no pressing in of any bearing into any hub its all an integral unit that just bolts on to the knuckle they have designed this to cut down on interference fit machining, it's the difference between 2006  and 2015 technology.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. Sounds like VAG have saved some more steel again then- bless them. 
6 year old (and average mileage?) and needing a bearing changed? Perhaps the progress is marked by selling parts quicker than they previously did. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Magnet said:

Thanks Steve. Sounds like VAG have saved some more steel again then- bless them. 
6 year old (and average mileage?) and needing a bearing changed? Perhaps the progress is marked by selling parts quicker than they previously did. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi it depends what the roads are like where Alan lives, frequent potholes will wreck any suspension in record time hence the disappearance of the sensor ring.

Steve

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...