Jump to content

All in a days work


Anton8
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi

I have a part time job of collecting and delivering new cars. I have been doing this for about 8 years. It could be 1 per month or 3 a week. so, I do a lot of road trips each year. Last week for instance I travelled to Aberystwyth by train and returned with a Mitsubishi Outlander Hybrid. Waze satnav routed me right down the centre of Wales. The road was great, no traffic, lovely villages, a really good drive. Picked up M4 at Newport then home. (and I get paid). Scotland 8 times last year. Southern Ireland once. It's a great job as long as you like driving. It does have it's down side though. Try taking a Renault Zoe to South Wales, when Membury charge point not operative. Had to get it trailed to next services for a recharge, then only just managed it. Talk about range anxiety. Constantly checking battery range against satnav mileage. Off to Lincoln on Monday.

Tony

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just for your info, and to show how things change. Lincoln cancelled until next Friday 12th. Now going to Wigan on Monday to bring back a MG ZS EV. Have to do some calculations as to where to recharge. If you stop too early you may have to stop again. It's 255 miles and the battery range is approx 150 depending on temperature. M6 Corley is 111 miles and M1 Watford Gap is 145 miles. It's going to be tight.

Wish I was driving my A6 diesel.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Anton8 said:

Just for your info, and to show how things change. Lincoln cancelled until next Friday 12th. Now going to Wigan on Monday to bring back a MG ZS EV. Have to do some calculations as to where to recharge. If you stop too early you may have to stop again. It's 255 miles and the battery range is approx 150 depending on temperature. M6 Corley is 111 miles and M1 Watford Gap is 145 miles. It's going to be tight.

Wish I was driving my A6 diesel.

Hi you can't beat a good old heavy oil burner, just drive along looking for a garage if you feel the need, I know where you are coming from I did a trip to St Ives back in the summer 350 miles there and still had half a tank and I wasn't hanging about.

Steve.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the problems is the time and variable charge price. I have paid £6.13 for 27 minutes charge which gave me 110 miles. I have also been charged £19.20 for 74 minutes for 90 miles. Good old diesel even at £6.00 per gallon I can fill up in 5 minutes with 300-400 miles. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/4/2021 at 4:34 PM, Anton8 said:

Just for your info, and to show how things change. Lincoln cancelled until next Friday 12th. Now going to Wigan on Monday to bring back a MG ZS EV. Have to do some calculations as to where to recharge. If you stop too early you may have to stop again. It's 255 miles and the battery range is approx 150 depending on temperature. M6 Corley is 111 miles and M1 Watford Gap is 145 miles. It's going to be tight.

Wish I was driving my A6 diesel.

I trust you made it?! Whst was the mg like? It seems one of the few affordable ev out there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Steve

Left at 8.00 train yesterday morning, arrived home at 8.00 yesterday evening. I made it to Watford Gap with 30 miles left in the battery. It took 90 minutes to recharge. The MG drove beautifully. Had it in eco mode but still plenty of grunt. You want to see it in sport mode, frighteningly fast. No gear changes, It certainly rips the front tyres. But I wouldn't do that would I. All said and done it is not a bad car. 7 years warranty, quite roomy, cheap to run.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Anton8 said:

Hi Steve

Left at 8.00 train yesterday morning, arrived home at 8.00 yesterday evening. I made it to Watford Gap with 30 miles left in the battery. It took 90 minutes to recharge. The MG drove beautifully. Had it in eco mode but still plenty of grunt. You want to see it in sport mode, frighteningly fast. No gear changes, It certainly rips the front tyres. But I wouldn't do that would I. All said and done it is not a bad car. 7 years warranty, quite roomy, cheap to run.

Hmm that's interesting. Worried that the price would mean it would drive cheap. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nope, feels surprisingly solid, no squeaks or rattles. Interior finish is good, and it comes with lots of goodies, as you would expect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Anton8 said:

Nope, feels surprisingly solid, no squeaks or rattles. Interior finish is good, and it comes with lots of goodies, as you would expect.

Hmm well there's something I'd me er have thought. To be fair I liked the mg3 and felt it was a good car. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

Hmm well there's something I'd me er have thought. To be fair I liked the mg3 and felt it was a good car. 

Hi Steve you are not going all Bertie on us and investing in a Milk Float, this forum would become pretty lame if all we had to discuss was possible braking and suspension mods, Snap On have just released the first socket set for electric cars as the bolts etc on these cars is completely different from conventional cars, its a snip at £1400.00 for a sixty piece set.

Steve.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know I sound like a MG car salesman, I still wouldn't buy one. There are various reasons such as ..... The inferstructure for electric cars is not quite there yet. 1.5 hours charge time. Range anxiety, it's not an Audi, and it's Chinese. Also the worry that I would start ordering fried rice with everything. I will stick with my Audi diesel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi Steve you are not going all Bertie on us and investing in a Milk Float, this forum would become pretty lame if all we had to discuss was possible braking and suspension mods, Snap On have just released the first socket set for electric cars as the bolts etc on these cars is completely different from conventional cars, its a snip at £1400.00 for a sixty piece set.

Steve.

Most definitely not lol. Synthetic fuel or hydrogen fuel cells are the future. Anyone who buys an electric car is buying in essence a betamax 😆

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Most definitely not lol. Synthetic fuel or hydrogen fuel cells are the future. Anyone who buys an electric car is buying in essence a betamax 😆

Hi Steve what an absolute belter of a comparison we all remember the end result of that one, a short sharp battle and I wonder what happened to my mums neighbour who was the first to buy Betamax unit and was always harping on about how much it cost, mind you it was the same neighbour who bought a brand new Moskvich a few years earlier and collided with a house at the end of the road about a month later after the pedal box had rubbed through the clutch cable, there is no depth to which human stupidity will not plummet.

Steve.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/10/2021 at 7:43 AM, Steve Q said:

Most definitely not lol. Synthetic fuel or hydrogen fuel cells are the future. Anyone who buys an electric car is buying in essence a beta

Exactly what I have been saying for a while, even down the Betamax comparison! Batteries in the long term don’t make sense. If all the money put into battery development had gone into hydrogen then we would be much further down the sustainability line. You can run your boiler on it so no need for heat pumps, you can even run an ICE car with a bit of modification (much like lpg) and of course for HGV and buses the only sensible solution . Anyway I will get off my soap box and back to driving my petrol Audi 😀.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stagn8 said:

Exactly what I have been saying for a while, even down the Betamax comparison! Batteries in the long term don’t make sense. If all the money put into battery development had gone into hydrogen then we would be much further down the sustainability line. You can run your boiler on it so no need for heat pumps, you can even run an ICE car with a bit of modification (much like lpg) and of course for HGV and buses the only sensible solution . Anyway I will get off my soap box and back to driving my petrol Audi 😀.

It drives me mad. It's more concerning is how brainwashed people are though about them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi Steve what an absolute belter of a comparison we all remember the end result of that one, a short sharp battle and I wonder what happened to my mums neighbour who was the first to buy Betamax unit and was always harping on about how much it cost, mind you it was the same neighbour who bought a brand new Moskvich a few years earlier and collided with a house at the end of the road about a month later after the pedal box had rubbed through the clutch cable, there is no depth to which human stupidity will not plummet.

Steve.

Lol. My great gran always said it's better to have a good used item then a cheap new one. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership