Q5 55 PHEV (2020) - accelerating hard when ICE is cold

JMKC82

Hi All,

Newbie here.

I don't generally accelerate hard when the ICE is cold (not up to temperature above 50 - 60C for example).  But i'm worried about running the ICE hard when not up to temperature.

I was driving in hybrid mode on the motorway and the ICE was up to nice operating temperature.  Then there was slow moving traffic (accident), and the electric motor kicked in, and the ICE temperature started to cool.  After about 45 minutes, I cleared the traffic and the ICE temperature was below 50C.  I accelerated hard'ish to get up to speed.

I know these are modern engines, but anyone see any issues with accelerating hard when the engine is 'cold'?  As the ICE is generally rarely used.

Thanks in advance for your views.

Joe

As you say you shouldn't poo ush too hard to when the engine is cold. However the car has been up to temp in this case which is would have allowed the fluids to circulate and warm up ok. So I think it wouldn't have been to much of an issue in my opinion. 

Thanks Steve Q.  I think this is going to be a long discussion for another day.

I was just driving the other day on full electric on an A road doing 45-50mph behind a lorry and a car.  When the coast was clear, i hit the throttle, ICE kicked in and gave me that extra oomph.  So in this case, the ICE was not used overnight, not warmed up, and fluids not circulating until the ICE kicked in semi hard.  I'm sure it will be okay, but just new with PHEV's.

Thanks,

4 hours ago, JMKC82 said:

Thanks Steve Q.  I think this is going to be a long discussion for another day.

I was just driving the other day on full electric on an A road doing 45-50mph behind a lorry and a car.  When the coast was clear, i hit the throttle, ICE kicked in and gave me that extra oomph.  So in this case, the ICE was not used overnight, not warmed up, and fluids not circulating until the ICE kicked in semi hard.  I'm sure it will be okay, but just new with PHEV's.

Thanks,

Truthfully im new to PHEVs too. I think there's a lot to learn for all of us.